NYP: How Jon Stewart Turned Lies into Cheeky Comedy

Spider

So Brian Williams goes out (for six months) humiliated and derided. Jon Stewart goes out (permanently, one hopes) the same day, but on a giant Comedy Homecoming King float, with a 21-gun salute from the media, his path strewn with roses and teardrops.
Why?
Brian Williams lied about his personal exploits a few times. Jon Stewart was unabashedly and habitually dishonest.
Though Stewart has often claimed he does a “fake news show,” “The Daily Show” isn’t that. It’s a real news show punctuated with puns, jokes, asides and the occasional moment of staged sanctimony.
It contains real, unstaged sound bites about the days’ events and interviews about important policy matters.
Stewart is a journalist: an irresponsible and unprofessional one.
He is especially beloved by others in the journo game. (For every 100 viewers, he generated about 10 fawning profiles in the slicks, all of them saying the same thing: The jester tells the truth!).
Any standard liberal publication was as likely to contain an unflattering thought about Stewart as L’Osservatore Romano is to run a hit piece on the pope.
The hacks have a special love for Stewart because he’s their id. They don’t just think he’s funny, they thrill to his every sarcastic quip. They wish they could get away with being so one-sided, snarky and dismissive...

http://nypost.com/2015/02/15/how-jon-stewart-turned-lies-into-comedy-and-brainwashed-a-generation/

Last edited by a moderator:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Might not Brian Williams be a great replacement for Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show"? After all, hasn't Williams made a joke of the news by embellishing information?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Cool Rocking Daddy said:
Seems to be a trait of all so called "newsmen" I have seen. Especially on bowling sites.
Dear Cool Rocking Daddy:
Care to elaborate, rather than continuing one of your favorite "talking points" (about how I'm a so-called hack journalist)?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Cool Rocking Daddy said:
No need. It would appear my point got across just fine. BTW, Billy, when you going to come clean about all the trolls posting your favor line of bullshit and who they are. They seem to hold you in high regard. Interesting. Time to tell us all you know about one Brooksguru.
Dear Cool Rocking Daddy:
Not "no need" ... rather, you have nothing to back up your "talking points" about my journalism. Obviously, you can have an OPINION that I am a hack journalist, but you have NOTHING to support that opinion.
As to brooksguru, in all honesty, I know nothing whatsoever about him, except for what he posted in BR. I have no idea of his real name, and I have no real basis to know for sure that he lives in Bowling Green, Ky., even though he claimed (in his posts) that he lived there. I have attempted to find out who he really is, but I haven't been able to draw any accurate conclusions.
On the other hand, regarding your identity, it was easy -- after waiting for a few clues that you dropped along the way. I noted your references to 5 Star Lanes and your reference (in another post) to a Sunday morning league. Coupled with the information on your BBE profile (actual first name, three perfect games and 814 series), it wasn't too hard to put all that together -- in part, because you are the only one in the bowl.com database to match all those factors.
I don't have any similar clues regarding brooksguru, so I'm completely in the dark as to who he is, where he is and what he does for a living. I did note that you referred to him by a certain first name in BR, but I have no idea as to whether that was from your knowledge or not.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Cool Rocking Daddy said:
You have a lot of time on your hands. You didn't do jack-shit. Steven gave you that info Over ten years old info. He came to me in a pm that long ago and said basically the same thing about how he went about it. The guy's a fuckstick and a half but he always kept it to himself no matter how hot it got between us until he gave it to you. Not you though. You decided to have your lackeys post it incorrect or not. You even had a guy post it twice after you were banned. By doing it that way you can say "I didn't actually post personal info". Nah, you just fed it to two lowlifes who would not have any qualms about it. See Billy, its that lack of morality that makes me question everything about you. From your comments about a certain religion to you not facing up to the fact that you were directly or indirectly the reason bowl.com cut the ABC/USBC forum. Your boasts about being a d.j. at a station yet when holes were discovered in that story you kept on and on with the party line. You're a slimeball. You don't have any ethics. That was proven even further when you had your lackey post robadat's info. Why don't you tell everybody how you figured that one out? Greg T made no secret about where he lives or lived, but rob never said a damn thing about it.
I think I've stated my views pretty clearly so don't bother responding with your usual twenty questions of inaneness.
Dear Cool Rocking Daddy:
In response ...
* Steven did NOT give me any information about you. NEVER, at any time, did he do so. And I'm not even aware that Steven ever knew any personal information about you. I found out that information ENTIRELY on my own.
* I never had any so-called "lackeys" post any personal information about you on my behalf. THAT NEVER HAPPENED.
* The information that I have about you IS ACCURATE. Now, I have no idea about the rest of the information that is being spread in PMs, and I have no idea who is dispensing and distributing such information. Further, I have pledged to cooperate fully with Greg T in getting to the bottom of who is issuing those PMs ... BUT I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.
* Your comments with regard to religion are unfounded. Obviously, you consider me anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic at the same time, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were to consider me anti-Christian and anti-Buddhist, too.
* As for the bowl.com forum, I WAS NEVER BANNED from there (as you have repeatedly claimed), and I HAD NOTHING TO DO with that forum's demise. The plug was pulled on that forum many months after I stopped posting in it.
* How am I supposedly lying about having been a disc jockey on the No. 1 station in Nashville, Tenn.? I have several Facebook friends who were fellow DJs at the station, and I have a number of others who recall hearing me on the air on WKDA. [By the way, I've also done PA announcing for the Tennessee state high school basketball tournament, Vanderbilt University freshman basketball games and varsity baseball games, Little League district championship games, and greyhound track announcing.]
* As for your claim about Robadat's information ... I NEVER UNCOVERED ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION about Robodat, and therefore, I certainly didn't distribute any such information to anyone at any time. And I still don't have any information about Robodat, except for what I've read in those PMs, but I have no idea as to whether the claims (in those PMs) are true or false.
Thanks for providing me with the opportunity to respond. Have a good evening.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear Cool Rocking Daddy:
Greg T (and everyone) will find out that my basic posting style is actually rather tame and discussion- and topic-oriented when I'm not busy or preoccupied with responding to demeaning personal comments (and worse) from posters such as yourself.
Therefore, if you follow through on your statement that I won't "get any more responses" to my posts from you, no one will see any semblence of out-of-line posts from me.
My biggest fault as a forum poster has always been that most of my posts are in response to posts by others, and if a large number of posts include personal attacks and demeaning comments -- and yes, lies -- aimed at me, I will respond politely, but often in a clever manner (using my skills as a wordsmith) that may tend to be infuriating at times. For example, I'm sure it greatly irks some of my "attackers" when I don't respond in kind (with personal insults and profanity); rather, I often say something like, "Thanks for paying attention to me. It's much appreciated."
At any rate, I hope you'll refrain from future personal attacks (and insults) in my direction, and you (and others) will see a far different posting style (from me) than you may be used to. Not only that, it will make for a better discussion forum and greater camaraderie. Kind personal regards.

born1

What is the truth anymore with the news? They all have their own agenda. We are stuck sifting through the bullshit that they spew to figure it out.
I always took Jon Stewart for what he really was.
Bill, isn't it true for a journalist not to reveal their source?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
born 1 said:
Bill, isn't it true for a journalist not to reveal their source?
Dear born 1:
I can't speak for other journalists, but I can say in all honesty that I HAVE NEVER USED AN UNNAMED SOURCE in any of my published writings.

Robadat

Don't watch any of these news clowns. It amazes me that anyone would take what they say seriously.

bbfreeburn

Robadat said:
Don't watch any of these news clowns. It amazes me that anyone would take what they say seriously.
And no one should. It's comedy for shits' sake. Like all comedy either you like it or you don't.

MI2AZ

Cool Rocking Daddy said:
Satire. One of my favorite form of humor as the ones being gigged are never aware that it is happening to them or they get all huffy when they do. Too funny.
Joe Schmo Show?