Olympics coverage

Djarum300

Addicted Member
So, who at NBC thought, with the low NBA ratings, it would be a good idea to charge money on Peacock streaming to watch basketball?

Overall the coverage has been aweful. We were watching skateboarding and in the middle of the medal event switch channels of where they are showing it.

Scolai

It's a very popcorn approach to Olympics coverage. They never show anything longer than an hour or so before changing to another sport altogether. Bounce viewers from sport to sport without any continuity.

For example, I was watching judo. They showed two matches (about 20 minutes of coverage) before switching to TKD. They showed two sparring matches there (about 15 minutes of coverage) before they switched to something else entirely.

And every lull in coverage seems to be an interview with Simone Biles (who is awesome, BTW, but not someone who needs to be interviewed every 10 minutes) or Meghan Rapinoe (who is a bitch, BTW, and CERTAINLY doesn't need to be interviewed at all).

I love the competition and the athleticism of the Olympics. I don't like the way the networks are covering it all.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
It's a very popcorn approach to Olympics coverage. They never show anything longer than an hour or so before changing to another sport altogether. Bounce viewers from sport to sport without any continuity.

For example, I was watching judo. They showed two matches (about 20 minutes of coverage) before switching to TKD. They showed two sparring matches there (about 15 minutes of coverage) before they switched to something else entirely.

And every lull in coverage seems to be an interview with Simone Biles (who is awesome, BTW, but not someone who needs to be interviewed every 10 minutes) or Meghan Rapinoe (who is a bitch, BTW, and CERTAINLY doesn't need to be interviewed at all).

I love the competition and the athleticism of the Olympics. I don't like the way the networks are covering it all.

I think the issue is the 14 hour time difference. For primetime some things can be shown live and other things are tape delayed.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I used to watch the televised Olympics extensively, and while working at the newspaper, I would be in charge of laying out the pages, selecting the stories and writing the headlines on the pages covering the Olympics. But now, I have lost interest completely, and I haven't watched so much as a minute of this year's TV coverage.

Scolai

I used to watch the televised Olympics extensively, and while working at the newspaper, I would be in charge of laying out the pages, selecting the stories and writing the headlines on the pages covering the Olympics. But now, I have lost interest completely, and I haven't watched so much as a minute of this year's TV coverage.
My wife is doing write-ups for this year's Olympics for Free Range American (the news aspect of Black Rifle Coffee Company), so we're watching what would be considered the "bad-ass" competitions (shooting, archery, martial arts, etc.). Thus, we're having to watch coverage that we can stream or catch on TV.

In fairness to most of the athletes who are competing, they are there to fulfill a life-long dream to compete in the Olympics and have no interest in the progressive 'woke' element that is pervading pretty much every facet of US culture these days. I don't mind watching that at all. Women's soccer and Megan Rapinoe can piss off, though. I'm not watching her or her other likeminded teammates.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
So opinions on Simone Biles quitting? I believe what she did was terrible. Could anyone imagine Brady just be like, nah, I ain't feeling it? What about the gymnast who could have taken her place if she'd just have stayed home? Got mental issues? Fine, but work on that, stay home and let someone go who wants to be there and isn't afraid to fail.

And regards to BRC, I've never purchased their coffee, but one of their owners just recently threw half of their customers under the bus.

Scolai

So opinions on Simone Biles quitting? I believe what she did was terrible. Could anyone imagine Brady just be like, nah, I ain't feeling it? What about the gymnast who could have taken her place if she'd just have stayed home? Got mental issues? Fine, but work on that, stay home and let someone go who wants to be there and isn't afraid to fail.
I had the same thought, particularly about her going to Tokyo in the place of someone who wouldn't have quit when things didn't go her way.

"Djarum300 said:
And regards to BRC, I've never purchased their coffee, but one of their owners just recently threw half of their customers under the bus.
Yeah. My wife had some serious concerns about that bit of commentary. That's all I can say at the moment.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I had the same thought, particularly about her going to Tokyo in the place of someone who wouldn't have quit when things didn't go her way.

Yeah. My wife had some serious concerns about that bit of commentary. That's all I can say at the moment.

Well, I can't blame any company trying to go after a demographic to make money. In some ways, it was obvious that what BRC and many other company's are doing is a grift. Some companies that typically cater to the right, such has Hobby Lobby and Chik-fil-a are pretty principled and consistent. Companies like BRC (and not just BRC) will tout they are principled in one specific thing. Just because a company is Pro - 2A doesn't necessarily mean the Venn Diagram circles all other conservative ideals. But companies like BRC sure will let the consumer "think" that their company has those beliefs.

Conservatives/Republicans forget that the 2A and being pro 2A is more a Libertarian /Constitutionalist/Classically Liberal principle.

That doesn't mean that a Pro 2A company is going to be Fiscally Conservative, Socially Conservative, or even Pro Police. But companies, just to make a buck, will let consumers "believe' something about a company.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
No wonder the ratings are down. My local NBC affiliate all over my FB feed just posted results for an event. Why should I go watch it now?