Raped 13 Yr Old Will Be Forced To Bear Child

MI2AZ

A young Mexican teen who was raped by a family acquaintance is trying to end the pregnancy that resulted from that crime. But although abortion in the state of Sonora is permissible only in rape cases, a judge has ruled that the encounter was "consensual" and that the crime against the 13-year-old should be classified as "sexual coercion" due to seduction, not rape, the Guardian and Telegraph report. This despite the fact that the girl, named only as Citlali, reported the assault to the cops right after the May 16 incident, and medical documentation backed up her claims based on physical evidence. A state health agency is adhering to the judge's ruling and refusing to allow the girl to get an abortion, which has riled advocacy groups.

"She has the right as the victim of sexual aggression to end the pregnancy," says the head of the Group for Information on Reproductive Choice, per the AP. "The classification of the crime doesn't matter." Child rape is a prevalent problem in Mexico, where 25% of girls are assaulted before they turn 18, per a 2014 Executive Commission of Attention to Victims report—yet more than a dozen states have made it harder to get abortions since 2008, when Mexico City started offering unfettered first-trimester terminations. And Mexico City is where the girl may have to go to get an abortion now. "This has been enough to convince authorities in other states with the same criminal code, so why not in Sonora?" the girl's lawyer from GIRE says.

Good Times Good Times

Here is the counter-argument (I don't necessarily subscribe to this, but for the sake of discussion) as to why someone would tell this teen and emphatic, "No! You cannot have an abortion."

http://www.abort73.com/abortion/common_objections/

"If a woman didn't choose to engage in sex in the first place, should she have to carry to term a child that was the result of her forced union? The question should become much clearer if we add in some hypothetical details. Let's say the woman does carry her child to term and decides to raise her son herself. After five years, however, she decides that the little boy's presence in her life is too much of a burden. He looks too much like his biological father. Should that mother have the right to kill her five year-old son who was born to her as a result of sexual assault?

Obviously not. No matter what the circumstances are regarding the little boy's conception, he is a human being with a right to life that cannot be taken away from him. But what about before the child is born, does this change anything? No, it doesn't. Abortion is an act of violence that kills a living human being. The circumstances surrounding the conception do not change this simple reality. Rape and abortion share this in common. They are both acts of violent assault against an innocent victim. Aborting a child conceived through rape simply extends this pattern of violence and victimhood. It does not "unrape" the woman, but it will almost certainly increase her regret and misery. Whereas rape is an act of violence for which she bears no responsibility, abortion is an act of violence for which she would be morally culpable."

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I personally disagree about right to life for a glob of cells that doesn't yet have the ability to know it's alive. Obviously, I'm pro choice, and have no objection to early term abortion. I feel unwanted children *generally* become a troublesome burden on society (who wouldn't, growing up unloved and unwanted). My reasoning is, it's better to have never known life than to be forced into a life where you're unwanted, unloved, and every card in the deck is stacked against you before you're even born. I wouldn't want that life for myself, so why force it on someone else?

That said, the decision needs to be made early, IMO. If it has a good chance it can survive on its own outside the womb, then it's too late.

livespive

The only problem with this is twofold:

1. The 5 year old can be given up for adoption.
2. Before you say that the girl can carry the child to term then give it up,
we have to look at the fact that she might die during child birth.

Here is the counter-argument (I don't necessarily subscribe to this, but for the sake of discussion) as to why someone would tell this teen and emphatic, "No! You cannot have an abortion."

http://www.abort73.com/abortion/common_objections/

"If a woman didn't choose to engage in sex in the first place, should she have to carry to term a child that was the result of her forced union? The question should become much clearer if we add in some hypothetical details. Let's say the woman does carry her child to term and decides to raise her son herself. After five years, however, she decides that the little boy's presence in her life is too much of a burden. He looks too much like his biological father. Should that mother have the right to kill her five year-old son who was born to her as a result of sexual assault?

Obviously not. No matter what the circumstances are regarding the little boy's conception, he is a human being with a right to life that cannot be taken away from him. But what about before the child is born, does this change anything? No, it doesn't. Abortion is an act of violence that kills a living human being. The circumstances surrounding the conception do not change this simple reality. Rape and abortion share this in common. They are both acts of violent assault against an innocent victim. Aborting a child conceived through rape simply extends this pattern of violence and victimhood. It does not "unrape" the woman, but it will almost certainly increase her regret and misery. Whereas rape is an act of violence for which she bears no responsibility, abortion is an act of violence for which she would be morally culpable."

MI2AZ

"Whereas rape is an act of violence for which she bears no responsibility,..."

Don't agree with that.

Some could say that raising a child entails many responsibilities, including perhaps, forcing a rape victim into a lower lifetime financial situation. A rape victim with child could have more difficulty finding a better job, better husband, etc.