Sad day

Djarum300

Addicted Member
You'd probably have to define 'dedicated' as most politicians seem to be dedicated towards separating us from our money.
Dedicated not to the money, but to the kids they coach. If politicians had that dedication toward the people.

I wonder if paying politicians more money, they wouldn't be in bed with lobbyist. Saban makes 7 mil. Look at his dedication to his players and school. I have no problem paying a politician that and get rid of the lobbyists.

MI2AZ

I agree, lobbyists, the way most of them are operating in DC, are a cancer to the political process.

bbfreeburn

do you folks actually think that most head coaches are NOT dedicated to the money? If you were to take I look I'd bet that you would find that the head football coach almost always makes more than the college president and often more than the state governor. Also true very often of the head basketball coach. Yes, there are a number who are dedicated to the kids they coach but, at least when looking at major sports, that is usually not the case, imo.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
do you folks actually think that most head coaches are NOT dedicated to the money? If you were to take I look I'd bet that you would find that the head football coach almost always makes more than the college president and often more than the state governor. Also true very often of the head basketball coach. Yes, there are a number who are dedicated to the kids they coach but, at least when looking at major sports, that is usually not the case, imo.
You make a very good point. I understand the theory behind Djarum's idea, but it's not really an apples to apples comparison. The coach only has so much value, and winning only does so much to boost a college athletic program. While that money can be substantial, it pales in comparison to the financial power and impact a politician can have. Thus, the incentives to be corrupt are exponentially increased.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
ISNT MONEY AT THE BASE OF EVERYTHING? I THINK DJ'S BIG POINT WAS THE LOBBYISTS ENTERLOPING IN POLITICIANS BUSINESS, THEY ARE VERY RARELY IN FAVOR OF WHAT THE CONSTITUENTS WANT. THE COACHES, MORE SO THAN NOT, ALWAYS HAVE THE STUDENTS AND THE SCHOOLS BEST INTERESTS IN MIND. MOST ALL OF US ARE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT OUR TEAM BEATING THEIR HATED RIVAL MORE SO THAN WHAT BILL OUR CONGRESSMAN VOTED ON. THAT IS SAD FOR US. HOW ABOUT A PAY SCALE FOR POLITICIANS BASED ON WHAT THEY DO FOR THEIR CONSTITUENTS AND NOT A SET SALARY? JUST SCATTERSHOOTING WITH THAT ONE.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I met bobby Bowden I in person. He got a boat load of money at FSU. I do know that he genuinely cared for his kids. Same goes for coach K, Pat Summit, etc. They probably are the exception though.

Fundamentally good and great coaches love the game and love coaching. Politicians love themselves. Politicians who want to make real change can't.