Serious question about gun control

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Let's pretend for a minute... our government decides unanimously to abolish the 2nd and all private owned guns are now banned. Nobody except active duty military and police can *legally* have them. Considering how well we have executed the "War on Drugs", how successful do we think a "War on Guns" would be?

And further, how much of an affect do we think there would be on violent crime? Would we see any significant change in Chicago homicide rates, for example?

bruce1156

In that scenario I believe a revolution would occur. Aside from that, I think it would be more effective than the War on Drugs because if they could succeed in disarming us it would get them something.............control.
As far as the Chicago situation, they already have some of if not the strictest controls in the nation and it has not helper. Argument could be made that it is actually worse because of those controls. Criminals do not have to worry too much about victims being able to fight back.
My 2 cents.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Death rate by gun would rise immeasurably. The crooks would have a free-for-all and pretty much go unopposed, except for those who did not turn in their guns. :)

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I KNOW THAT NONE OF US HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS, BUT IF NOONE CAN CONTROL THE "SANE" PEOPLE THAT CAN LEGALLY GET GUNS, AND GO BAD, I DONT KNOW WHAT THE ANSWER MIGHT BE. AND THE WAR ON DRUGS IS A JOKE.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I think it would be more effective than the War on Drugs because if they could succeed in disarming us it would get them something.............control.

Oooh... wow. I hadn't thought about that. But it makes sense. The "war on drugs" is a joke because they don't have any incentive to actually "win" it. With for profit prisons and a corrupt legal system, they make a ton of money keeping drugs around and busting small time dealers/users while holding up the "trophy catch" while smiling for the cameras and asking for more tax dollars to keep us safe. They'd be shooting their cash cow if they were actually effective.

Damn good point!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAVE HAD A SIMILAR CONVERSATION WITH SOME FRIENDS IN THE PAST ABOUT THIS.
MAKE IT A LAW THAT IF SOMEONE COMMITS A CRIME USING A GUN, THEY DIE. EVEN ALLOW COPS TO SHOOT TO KILL EVEN IF THEY HAVE DROPPED THE WEAPON. IF YOU KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES BEFORE YOU COMMIT THE CRIME, OH WELL. COPS GET TO KILL BAD GUYS. COLOR WONT MATER. LAWYERS CANT GET THEM OFF OR PLEA A LOWER SENTENCE. WIN WIN WIN.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I HAVE HAD A SIMILAR CONVERSATION WITH SOME FRIENDS IN THE PAST ABOUT THIS.
MAKE IT A LAW THAT IF SOMEONE COMMITS A CRIME USING A GUN, THEY DIE. EVEN ALLOW COPS TO SHOOT TO KILL EVEN IF THEY HAVE DROPPED THE WEAPON. IF YOU KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES BEFORE YOU COMMIT THE CRIME, OH WELL. COPS GET TO KILL BAD GUYS. COLOR WONT MATER. LAWYERS CANT GET THEM OFF OR PLEA A LOWER SENTENCE. WIN WIN WIN.
It doesn't work. They've studied the death penalty for many many years and the findings are pretty much confirmed. Knowing you're going to die does NOT deter would be killers. In MY mind, this enough to promote the idea that it's a mental illness problem. Not a hole in the laws.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEN IT WONT HURT A THING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN THEN. KILL THEM ON SITE. NO TAXPAYER MONEY SPENT TO CONVICT THEM. NOONE SCREAMING IT WAS RACIALY MOTIVATED. NOONE SAYING BAD COP SHOOT. WIN WIN WIN.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND MAYBE THE NEXT 500 PEOPLE CONTEMPLATING ROBBING A BANK, CAR JACKING, ROBBING A STORE OR ANY OTHER CRIME, MIGHT CHANGE THEIR MIND KNOWING THEY ARE GOING TO DIE WITH NO CHANCE OF A TRIAL TO GET OFF. HOW MANY DEAD BAD GUYS DID THEY TALK TO TO GET THEIR "FINDINGS"?

livespive

Greg is 100% correct.......

Rules only stop people that follow them. The only way this scenario works is that all of the guns could "disappear" from those that are not supposed to have them. Even then a criminal will steal from someplace and get one.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
WAMO's theory may slow petty crimes, but probably not the big ones. The guy in Vegas was fully prepared to die in the end, so he planned his attack to inflict the maximum carnage he could before killing himself. One has to consider, if death is certain for the crime one is thinking about committing, would more people amp up their killing sprees to get the maximum effect for the price they're going to pay?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
WAMO's theory may slow petty crimes, but probably not the big ones. The guy in Vegas was fully prepared to die in the end, so he planned his attack to inflict the maximum carnage he could before killing himself. One has to consider, if death is certain for the crime one is thinking about committing, would more people amp up their killing sprees to get the maximum effect for the price they're going to pay?
This type of punishment may work extremely well for the rational, mentally healthy people. I know for a fact that if I was thinking of stealing my neighbor's bike, but there's a very good chance of dying if I do, I would change my mind. The problem is the mental health issue. Criminals KNOW there are extreme punishments for their actions and they still carry out their plans. They don't care. They know jail is there, prison is there, death is there. They don't care. That is why all the new laws in the world will not change a thing.

bbfreeburn

Let's pretend for a minute... our government decides unanimously to abolish the 2nd and all private owned guns are now banned. Nobody except active duty military and police can *legally* have them. Considering how well we have executed the "War on Drugs", how successful do we think a "War on Guns" would be?

And further, how much of an affect do we think there would be on violent crime? Would we see any significant change in Chicago homicide rates, for example?
About as successful as the "war on poverty." Face it, that horse is long out of the barn.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEN WE JUST HAVE TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT, AND JUST LAY DOWN AND EXCEPT IT. RIGHT?