Swan Killed For Tourist Selfie

MI2AZ

A swan got killed by a tourist who dragged it out of a Macedonian lake so she could take a selfie with it, reports revealed Tuesday.

The as-yet unidentified smiling woman from Bulgaria can be seen in photos from Lake Ohrid tugging the white swan by its wing.

She had waded into the water and grabbed the swan, shocking onlookers from her large tourist group and others at the lake on the mountainous Albanian border.

The majestic bird lay still and died after the woman let it go, according to MINA. It wasn’t immediately clear when the deadly selfie encounter took place.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
As for the swan killer... she should be thrown in jail for a few years (along with all of the dolphin killers). Make an example of them to put an end to this stupidity surrounding selfies.

Good Times Good Times

Insurance should refuse, and be allowed to refuse, payment for such a stupid act. But then, I guess that would be a slippery slope... then you open up every unhealthy act as a reason for insurance to refuse payment (smoking, drinking, eating cheeseburgers, etc.)
I feel like there has to be a distinction between a rattlesnake selfie and smoking, drinking, eating cheeseburgers if we debated in depth....I'm not certain but it seems like there would be. I never thought about it a ton.

Somewhere in the "act" vs "lifestyle" thing. I dunno......obv a waste of life debate though.

On edit, I'm in agreement with the bolded.

Good Times Good Times

I want to make one point though, I don't want to see these people necessarily be harmed by the animals (though that is what it takes to correct this type of behavior), I don't ever want anyone harmed, I just want the idiots that do these acts that are so rich in collateral damage towards sentient beings as a byproduct of literally "hey man.....lemme get this dolphin and take a pic bro" to just stop. Stop fucking up everything that's alive!

It's like that term "self-evident" in the Declaration.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I feel like there has to be a distinction between a rattlesnake selfie and smoking, drinking, eating cheeseburgers if we debated in depth....I'm not certain but it seems like there would be. I never thought about it a ton.

Somewhere in the "act" vs "lifestyle" thing. I dunno......obv a waste of life debate though.

On edit, I'm in agreement with the bolded.
Yeah, the reason I added that was thinking about some people I know who have had liver transplants due to abusing alcohol, cancers from smoking, and heart disease due to poor health habits. While addiction (smoking, alcohol, drugs, eating) can be classified as diseases, at what point would the insurance company say "you knew the risks, and willfully ignored them, putting yourself in this situation". Certainly not the same as grabbing a rattlesnake or lighting yourself on fire for a youtube video, but if the precedent is set that willful, negligent behavior exempts insurance from liability, then they will pursue it to the ends of the earth to increase profitability.

Maybe there should be an independent review panel the insurance company could appeal to? If they agree the injuries are due to gross stupidity (negligence, to be nice), YOU foot all the bills and insurance pays nothing.