Tesla Driver Crashes, Dies, While Car In AutoPilot Mode

MI2AZ

Tesla Motors acknowledged today that a driver of one of its Model S cars operating in Autopilot mode died when the semi-autonomous system failed to detect a tractor-trailer turning in front of the luxury electric car.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun a preliminary investigation of the fatal accident that occurred May 7 in Williston, Fla.

The case illustrates the experimental nature of autonomous vehicle technology that has attracted billions of dollars of investment from the auto and technology industries.

"This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated," states a post on Tesla's corporate website. "Among all vehicles in the U.S., there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles. It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations."

The post continues in substantial detail to describe the incident.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Stupid is the company looking to automate the driving experience. Dumbassery is the ignorant fucker that actually tries it.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Stupid is the company looking to automate the driving experience. Dumbassery is the ignorant fucker that actually tries it.
I don't know, man... I really like the idea of being able to sit in the back of a van drinking beer, eating a sandwich, watching TV, maybe even take a nap while the van drives itself cross country to my vacation destination! That would be freaking sweet!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
YOU CAN DO THAT 9, ITS CALLED CHAUFFEUR.
Yeah, but they want $15 an hour if they have a valid license! And if I hire an illegal Mexican, well, we all know how THEY drive... my vacation time would be used up before we ever got there! And if there's an accident, he'll run off! :Roflmao:

MI2AZ

I don't know, man... I really like the idea of being able to sit in the back of a van drinking beer, eating a sandwich, watching TV, maybe even take a nap while the van drives itself cross country to my vacation destination! That would be freaking sweet!

Apparently, the driver thought the same way as you. He was watching a movie when he was killed.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations."
DUH! Is there really any question as to whether "the system worked according to expectations"?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I refuse to drive a car that does not give me 100% control. I even disable my traction control and stability control in my Envoy. I will keep the anti-locks because they actually do help control a stop.