The End: Of VCRs

MI2AZ

It's the end of an era—which you probably thought ended years ago. The last maker of the VCR (that's videocassette recorder for the lucky souls who never had to deal with rewinding a movie because the person who watched it before you didn't) will kill production of the devices at the end of the month due to declining sales and the chore of finding the necessary parts. Funai Electronics in Japan—which sold units in North America under the Sanyo brand, per Ars Technica—surprisingly sold 750,000 VCRs last year, but that's a fraction of the 15 million units it once moved annually and not enough to keep them coming, reports USA Today.

The New York Times tells the story of how the first "practical" videotape recorder was met with "wild clapping and cheering for five full minutes" when presented to CBS executives in 1956. Sixty years later, there are still VHS collectors—a handful sell for thousands, reports the Independent—but VCRs are unlikely to come back in style. "A lot of people appreciated the warmness of how something sounds on vinyl," a technology analyst tells the BBC. "The quality on VHS is not something I think anyone would want to go back to." Feeling sentimental anyway? You're not alone. "Although I'd never purchase a VCR [ever] again, this makes me sad," reads a typical comment on Twitter.

livespive

Still have mine, and it works great :)........

Hell I have a DVD recorder to transfer the tapes, and DVDs are about to go out of style.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I have a large camcorder. Works well with extremely nice image quality. Needs batteries refreshed, tho. Want to sell it but may as well wait for another 20 years so it will be worth something.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I have the dual VHS/DVD deal. Still works, too. I'm going to convert the VHS stuff to DVD and put the original tape in a nice sealed airtight container. This thread was a good reminder to get it done. Too many sentimental times in family history deserve preservation throughout generations.

bbfreeburn

Reverse I did what your talking about. The only problem is that some of my tapes were somehow coded so that I couldn't copy them to disk.

MI2AZ

Reverse I did what your talking about. The only problem is that some of my tapes were somehow coded so that I couldn't copy them to disk.
Were you using a setup involving separate units (VHS and Dvd recorder)? I think REVerse may have a unit similar to what I bought my mother, one unit with both VHS and DVD recorder enclosed. On those, you should be able to transfer the video. If you are using separate units, you may have to get one of those copyguard boxes that goes between the VHS output and the DVD recorder input.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
This has been a concern. If my equipment is inadequate - there is a local business that has the capability and I may just go ahead and let them do it.

bbfreeburn

Were you using a setup involving separate units (VHS and Dvd recorder)? I think REVerse may have a unit similar to what I bought my mother, one unit with both VHS and DVD recorder enclosed. On those, you should be able to transfer the video. If you are using separate units, you may have to get one of those copyguard boxes that goes between the VHS output and the DVD recorder input.
That's what I had, one unit with both capabilities.

MI2AZ

That's what I had, one unit with both capabilities.

Personal videos?

I have a Tivo and I noticed that some tv shows are now encoded to prevent copying, so that I wouldn't be able to transfer them either to a computer or another recorder. I don't know about personal videos shot with a newer camcorder. I wouldn't think they would be encoded.

All of my mother's tapes were recorded many years ago and I had no problem transferring hers to dvd, both tv and camcorder. Her camcorder was an old one, the type that you could put a VHS tape inside to store the video.

I remember reading that at a certain point in time, they started putting a chip in VHS recorders to encode the video to prevent copying but then 3rd parties came out with the decoding boxes you could buy on the internet to get around that or you would have to buy older models that didn't have that chip. Not sure what they are doing now with dvd recorders to get around the present system.