THE WRECKING CREW

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HEY G. I KNOW I AM NOWHERE NEAR THE MUSIC MAN YOU ARE. SO YOU MAY HAVE SEEN IT. I RECORDED A SHOW CALLED "THE WRECKING CREW". IT WAS ABOUT THE STUDIO MUSICIANS WHO ACTUALLY PLAYED MOST OF THE HIT SONGS OF THE 60'S AND 70'S. IT HAS BEEN REALLY INTERESTING SO FAR. I HAVNT SEEN IT ALL YET. KIND OF WILD HOW MOST OF THOSE SONGS WERE'NT REALLY RECORDED BY THE GROUPS WHO GOT CREDIT FOR THEM. OFF THE WALL MAN, OFF THE WALL.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Yeah, there was a lot of shit going down back in the day. Still goes on today, also. But the thing that really gets me is that some things were recorded by people who never got any credit at all. The records were released with other peoples/groups names on them. Phil Specter had a hand in some of those shenanigans. The wrecking crew recorded a lot of hits for people and never truly received credit. Ronnie Specter and Darlene Love , etc. were in on the lead vocals.

In the 70s, tho, we had Ron Dante who was the voice of the Cufflinks and the Archies. There never were bands named Archies or Cufflinks. Just studio musicians and Ron Dante was the lead vocalist.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THATS WHAT THEY WERE SAYING. THEY WERE INTERVIEWING ALOT OF THE GUYS, AND 1 GAL, THAT DID MOST ALL THE INSTRUMENTALS IN THE STUDIOS, AND NEVER GOT CREDIT FOR IT. THEY DID MAKE ALOT OF MONEY THOUGH. THEY SAID THEY COULD GO IN A STUDIO AND TURN OUT AN ALBUM IN 2 OR 3 HOURS AND THAT MOST BANDS WOULD TAKE 2 OR 3 MONTHS, OR MORE. THERE WAS ONE GUY NAMED TOMMY TODESCO THAT SAID HE PLAYED A RIFF FOR A SONG BY THE BYRDS THAT WHEN THEIR GUITAR PLAYER HEARD IT, HE SAID HE COULDNT PLAY IT. IT WAS REALLY INTERESTING.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Yup. Wish I could go back to that time and know what I know now. How sweet it would be!!!!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
As for the so-called Wrecking Crew, what Greg T has posted above is accurate. Another example is regarding Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans. There were only three singles credited to that group, and all hit the Billboard pop charts, but on the flip side of each of those recordings, there was no singing; rather, there were instrumentals credited to Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans that were actually performed by studio musicians (primarily members of the Wrecking Crew).

As for The Crystals, on two of the big hits credited to them -- "He's A Rebel" and "He's Sure The Boy I Love" -- Darlene Love & The Blossoms actually performed those songs. And Spector also utilized The Wrecking Crew on Philles label recordings credited to Ali Hassan (Al Kazan) and Steve Douglas & His Merry Men. [Douglas was a regular sax-playing member of The Wrecking Crew.]

Last edited:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
There were also other groups doing backup vocals for other groups (4 Seasons, Beach boys, Happenings, etc.)