This forum is BOOMING, compared to BR and BBE

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I still have their XXXL (plastic w/diamond core). Great spare ball and a solid performer in dryer and some broke down conditions. No regrets on that one.

But yeah, IIRC those guys took a LOT of shit over liking Lane1, and as such I think some just started giving it back and overplayimg their allegiance to the brand. Some may have been genuinely nutso for the brand too. :p But for the most part I give them some leeway based on all the shit that was headed their direction.

Now the Griips Glove guys and the "Turbo Rules Vice Drools" guys... not so much. lol :Roflmao: although I may have occasionally jumped on the dogpile to stir that pot. :Whistling::Roflmao:

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I bought a Lane#1 Liberator Urethane when it first hit the market. Believe it or not that ball did very well. My son still throws it on short patterns and sport shots. He says it is not good on house shot. If the outside is dry it will over hook. If inside is heavy it goes straight. I'm sure it can be sanded to adjust the performance. Heck can a urethane ball be worn out like reactive?

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I still have their XXXL (plastic w/diamond core). Great spare ball and a solid performer in dryer and some broke down conditions. No regrets on that one.

But yeah, IIRC those guys took a LOT of shit over liking Lane1, and as such I think some just started giving it back and overplayimg their allegiance to the brand. Some may have been genuinely nutso for the brand too. :p But for the most part I give them some leeway based on all the shit that was headed their direction.

Now the Griips Glove guys and the "Turbo Rules Vice Drools" guys... not so much. lol :Roflmao: although I may have occasionally jumped on the dogpile to stir that pot. :Whistling::Roflmao:
I don't use inserts for my fingers. Just drill and chamfer the finger holes. I have more control without them. Only a thumb slug.

Last edited:

sevenpin63

Addicted Member

Oh god the Griips Glove, what a bunch of shit that started.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't use inserts for my fingers. Just drill and chamfer the finger holes. I have more control without them. Only a thumb slug.
That's what I eventually went to. Much cleaner release, found I didn't "pull" shots left nearly as much as I did with the old white "supersoft" finger inserts. Come to think of it, that change is when I finally broke into and started averaging over 200.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
That's what I eventually went to. Much cleaner release, found I didn't "pull" shots left nearly as much as I did with the old white "supersoft" finger inserts. Come to think of it, that change is when I finally broke into and started averaging over 200.
My driller looked at my fingers and told me because of the natural padding- inserts really weren't necessary and I should discontinue them on my next ball. Turned out to be excellent advice. I have a more controlled release.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
FOR ME THE GRIPS WERE A BIG PLUS. SOMETIMES BOWLING 20 / 30 GAMES A DAY, GRIPS WERE EASIER ON THE FINGERS THAN THE ROUGH BALL. ESPECIALLY THE SOFTER EQUIPMENT. SUR-D, LT48, YELLOW DOTS, SOAKERS (NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS, LOL). AND THE GRIPS FOR ME MEANT MORE REVOLUTIONS. MY FIRST SHOT WAS HARDER THAN MOST GUYS SPARE SHOTS, 20 - 25. AND I FOUND I COULD RELAX MY HAND MORE WITH THE GRIPS THAN WITHOUT THE GRIPS. MEANT MORE GAMES FOR ME.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Lane 1 was never big here in N. Alabama. Ebonite and Storm were peddled the most. I think most of my equipment is either Storm or Track.

I have very oval finger tips and Ive never been able to get anyone to drill fingers right. Thumb slug and inserts all the way for me.

Hell I can't even bowl league if I tried. Most of my equipment has weight holes..... you know....to bring it back to legal. Oh, now you can't do that because now that's illegal. :rolleyes:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Lane 1 was never big here in N. Alabama. Ebonite and Storm were peddled the most. I think most of my equipment is either Storm or Track.

I have very oval finger tips and Ive never been able to get anyone to drill fingers right. Thumb slug and inserts all the way for me.

Hell I can't even bowl league if I tried. Most of my equipment has weight holes..... you know....to bring it back to legal. Oh, now you can't do that because now that's illegal. :rolleyes:
I have the same issues. I had an idea where I would use my XY jig to oval the thumb. I would drill the depth, lock the bit inside the hole while running, and move the jig in the direction I need to oval. I few times is all it took to oval the hole.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
The LT48... I wish thumb slugs were around when I had that ball (if they were I didn't know about them). A little humidity, and was it cork in the middle? Anyway, that ball blistered and removed more skin from my thumb than any other. I should've owned stock in skin patch at the time...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHEN I DRILLED EQUIPMENT AT BOWLING AND BILLIARD SUPPLIES OF DALLAS, I WOULD WAS USE A BIT ABOUT 2 SIZES SMALLER. IT WOULD BE CONE SHAPED FURTHER DOWN THE HOLE, BUT THE THUMB WOULDNT EXTEND THAT FAR DOWN. THEN I HAD A WOOD WORKING RASP THAT FIT INTO A HAND HELD DRILL TO WIDEN THE HOLE CLOSER TO SHAPE OF THUMB. THEN USE THE HAND SANDER TO SMOOTH OUT THE OVAL. THEN FINISH BY HAND BY WETSANDING. I ONLY HAD 3 GUYS THAT CAME IN THAT NEEDED THAT MUCH ATTENTION, SO IT WASNT TO BAD.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I went on some of the ball manufacturers websites and it looks like they are using cores from a decade ago. Did companies give up on core design?