This should be interesting

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Bubba Wallace, driving for Richard Petty Motorsports, will be racing a "Black Lives Matter" paint scheme in the Martinsville race tonight (7:00 EST, in FS1 I think). He's also called for NASCAR to ban the confederate flag from all race venues.

I've read comments online, and of those who are vocal - the majority are not thrilled. NASCAR has already been on a downward trend, so it will be interesting to see how their remaining fanbase handles this. Will stereotyped behaviors prevail, or will it wind up a big nothingburger... strap in, time will tell!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
As I was creating that post it was announced: NASCAR bans confederate flag from events. I'm going to go get some popcorn and look for social media comments. :cool:

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I grew up in Florida and moved to north Alabama. I just don't get the whole Confederate Flag thing
I really don't. Just like everyone complaining about statues and memorials, both ways

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I wasn't raised in the south, so I don't have any emotional attachment to it either. But there's a lot who do - and a lot of them are (or used to be) NASCAR fans.

bbfreeburn

I’m not sure but I think there is some connection between the confederate battle flag and the kkk. Correct me if I’m wrong.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BASED ON THE POINT OF VIEW OF CARRYING A FLAG DURING A PROTEST OR RALLY, I HAVE SEEN THE KKK CARRYING THE AMERICAN FLAG AT RALLIES AS WELL. SO IS IT NOW A RACIST FLAG OR DOES BLM AND SUCH GROUPS JUST GET TO CHOOSE WHAT FLAGS ARE RACIST? AND THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN FLAG WAS DESIGNED BY SLAVE OWNERS. SO WHO GETS TO DECIDE WHO WERE GOOD SLAVE OWNERS AND WHO WERE BAD SLAVE OWNERS?

ISNT JUST THROWING THE WORD RACIST AROUND MAKE YOU A RACIST?

ISNT BLM AND SUCH GROUPS RACIST FOR CALLING ALL COPS AND WHITES RACIST?

ISNT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG JUST A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE STARS AND STRIPES? JUST TO REFLECT A DIFFERENT FACTION DURING A CIVIL WAR.

NASCAR WAS BORN DURING THE RUM RUNNER DAYS OF ILLEGAL ALCOHOL. IN THE SOUTH. ITS JUST A FLAG. SO IS BLM GOING TO BOYCOTT AND ASK FOR THE REMOVAL OF ALL MOVIES THAT DONT HAVE A BLACK GETAWAY DRIVER? THIS HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND. AND WHEN THE WINNER CROSSES THE FINISH LINE, WHAT COLOR IS THE FLAG THEY WAVE?

IS BLACK FRIDAY A THING OF THE PAST?

WHAT ABOUT BLACK TAR HEROIN? ARE DRUG DEALERS GOING TO HAVE TO DYE IT A DIFFERENT COLOR BEFORE THEY CAN LEGALLY SELL IT! OR HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEIR CLIENTS TURNING THEM IN FOR RACISM?

WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE NEW NAME FOR BLACK CAT FIRECRACKERS?

WHATS GOING TO BECOME OF THE BLACK HOLES IN SPACE?

AND ON AND ON AND ON.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
As for the race, aside from the gimmicks (stages, etc.) it wasn't bad. Tire wear and little bitty rear spoilers made for better racing than they've had for a while. Blaney passed the whole field like twice I think thanks to a problem in the pits. Just couldn't catch Truex at the end.

Penske finished 2-3-4. Not a bad night for that organization.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
BASED ON THE POINT OF VIEW OF CARRYING A FLAG DURING A PROTEST OR RALLY, I HAVE SEEN THE KKK CARRYING THE AMERICAN FLAG AT RALLIES AS WELL. SO IS IT NOW A RACIST FLAG OR DOES BLM AND SUCH GROUPS JUST GET TO CHOOSE WHAT FLAGS ARE RACIST? AND THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN FLAG WAS DESIGNED BY SLAVE OWNERS. SO WHO GETS TO DECIDE WHO WERE GOOD SLAVE OWNERS AND WHO WERE BAD SLAVE OWNERS?

ISNT JUST THROWING THE WORD RACIST AROUND MAKE YOU A RACIST?

ISNT BLM AND SUCH GROUPS RACIST FOR CALLING ALL COPS AND WHITES RACIST?

ISNT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG JUST A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE STARS AND STRIPES? JUST TO REFLECT A DIFFERENT FACTION DURING A CIVIL WAR.

NASCAR WAS BORN DURING THE RUM RUNNER DAYS OF ILLEGAL ALCOHOL. IN THE SOUTH. ITS JUST A FLAG. SO IS BLM GOING TO BOYCOTT AND ASK FOR THE REMOVAL OF ALL MOVIES THAT DONT HAVE A BLACK GETAWAY DRIVER? THIS HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND. AND WHEN THE WINNER CROSSES THE FINISH LINE, WHAT COLOR IS THE FLAG THEY WAVE?

IS BLACK FRIDAY A THING OF THE PAST?

WHAT ABOUT BLACK TAR HEROIN? ARE DRUG DEALERS GOING TO HAVE TO DYE IT A DIFFERENT COLOR BEFORE THEY CAN LEGALLY SELL IT! OR HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEIR CLIENTS TURNING THEM IN FOR RACISM?

WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE NEW NAME FOR BLACK CAT FIRECRACKERS?

WHATS GOING TO BECOME OF THE BLACK HOLES IN SPACE?

AND ON AND ON AND ON.
Dear WAMO:

You pose A LOT of questions -- and most are interesting and thought-provoking!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Nascar stopped racing in 1971 and lost all credibility by the late 80s. I see now that they're nothing more than an expensive billboard for current affairs.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHAT! NASCAR WAS ONE OF THE TOP MOST WATCHED SPORTS IN PERSON AND ON TV THRU THE EARLY 2000'S. BUT OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS OR SO, IT HAS FALLEN OUTOF FAVOR. NOT THAT MANY YOUNGER FOLKS LIKE IT.

IM GOING TO START A PETITION TO HAVE THE GENERAL LEE BE THE PACE CAR AT A RACE THIS YEAR. YA'LL IN?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
When they started banning cars for winning, and inflicting stupid rules that eventually lead to cookie cutter cars it was no longer racing. Then they went to restrictor plates to slow the cars down, and the list goes on. They're all cracker jack cars now with the same cubic inches, same aerodynamics, same body dimensions, yada yada. They all go around the track at full throttle until someone makes a mistake, spins out, and then a few of them change places. That's not racing. Those are sheeple following the leader. I'm a major gear head. I've been building hot rods, engines, and tuning for 50 years and I find it absolutely appalling what they've done to the sport.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YOU MEAN THE RULES THEY PUT IN PLACE TO SAVE LIVES? OH, THOSE RULES. SO YOU HATE THAT THE BEST DRIVER WINS? THATS HO IT SHULD HAVE AWAYS BEEN. NOT THE FACT THAT GARAGE A HAD MORE MONEY THAN GARAGE H. THATS WHY MOST OF THE CHANGES HAPPENED, LACK OF MONEY IN THE SMALLER GARAGES G. GIVE THE LITTE GUY A CHANCE.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
YOU MEAN THE RULES THEY PUT IN PLACE TO SAVE LIVES? OH, THOSE RULES. SO YOU HATE THAT THE BEST DRIVER WINS? THATS HO IT SHULD HAVE AWAYS BEEN. NOT THE FACT THAT GARAGE A HAD MORE MONEY THAN GARAGE H. THATS WHY MOST OF THE CHANGES HAPPENED, LACK OF MONEY IN THE SMALLER GARAGES G. GIVE THE LITTE GUY A CHANCE.
No, most of them are not safety rules. They're there to put all the cars on an even keel. That's not racing. The days of Junior Johnson, Richard Petty and the best of all, Smokey Yunick. This is where they take showroom cars, tune them, work the suspension a bit, and race them. THAT is racing. Making cookie cutter cars does nothing but throttle the good guys and give advantages to those of lesser skill sets.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't have a problem with the roll cage enhancements, or the safer walls. But I'm with Greg... the bodies are all identical (and don't fit any template of a "stock" factory car) with only stickers and maybe mild front facia changes to differentiate the brands. Front splitters, rear wings, tapered spacers (aka restrictor plates), the distorted roofline... none of this is done for safety. And thank God they finally quit allowing them to run sideways like crabs down the straights.

My opinion, they've basically tried to replicate plate racing at every track in hopes of a weekly "Big One" to make the sportcasts highlight reels. Everyone knows the only reason 90% of people bother to watch Daytona/Talladega is to see a spectacular crash. The other 10% are insomniacs who need help getting some nap-time.