Transmission ?????

I know some of you guys know a lot about cars and trucks. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, auto (5.9) . Sometimes it doesn't shirt gears properly, and sometimes it doesn't get out of 1 or 2nd gear. I watched a couple of YOUTUBE vids about dropping the trans pan, and replacing a solenoid or two. I can't do that myself. Is it something that I could get done for 2 or 3 hundred, with knowing that it might now solve my issues?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I don't know a lot about those in particular, but the standard culprits are, dirty filter, plugged orifices, bad throttle position sensor, ECM. Is it throwing any fault codes?

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Anonymous says:

I had the same problem with my 96 Ram 1500. I thought I was going to have to pull it out and get it rebuilt or just replace it. That was at 134,000Km it's now got 210,000 and shifting like a dream. What I did to solve the problem was this, as follows:
1. No lucas transmission Fix makes things worse.
2. Get your self a new transmission filter and gasket
3. Grab Gunk transmission medic 12oz
4. Grab 7 Liters of Valvoline ATF+4 transmission fluid (Made for chrysler transmissions)
5. Drop the trans pan and drain all the oil, clean pan and magnet
6. start truck for 5 seconds and the pump will pour out another 1 liter
7. re-install filter, gasket and pan, then add your Valvoline ATF+4
8. Add, the valvoline, transmission medic and make sure you have the right level of fluid

That solved my transmission problems, instantly it was shifting better, I no longer had to let off the gas to make it shift. Now if you have large pieces of metal on the magnet, and it's totally covered in filings, you might want to consider rebuilding the trans.