TRUMP VS THE NFL ON DISRESPECT

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
TRUMP SAYS FIRE PLAYERS THAT TAKE A KNEE IN PROTEST.
GOODELL SAYS TRUMP IS DISRESPECTING THE NFL.
BUT ARE'NT THOSE PLAYERS BEING DISRESPECTFUL?
THE OWNERS SAY THEY CANT FORCE THEM TO STAND.
THE SAME OWNERS THAT SAY THEY HAVE TO WEAR A CERTAIN BRAND OF SHOE.
THE SAME OWNERS THAT BACK THE COACH THAT SAYS YOU HAVE TO BE HERE
AT A CERTAIN TIME OR YOUR FINED.
THE SAME OWNERS THAT NEED US TO BUY THE TICKETS TO WATCH THE PLAYERS
THEY SAY THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER.
HOW MANY PLAYERS WOULD BE RELEASED IF THEY WERE TO CALL THE OWNER
OR COACH AN ASSHOLE TO REPORTERS?
YET WHEN THEY CALL THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA AN ASSHOLE, THE OWNERS
HAVE NO CONTROL?
UMM...WHAT? :confused:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Would it be denial of "freedom of expression" or lack of First Amendment rights for a player to be fined, disciplined or penalized after berating or cussing out an NFL referee or other league official?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Would it be denial of "freedom of expression" or lack of First Amendment rights for a player to be fined, disciplined or penalized after berating or cussing out an NFL referee or other league official?
Or, how about wearing the wrong shoes?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
NFL players have been fined and disciplined for a number of actions against refs and league officials -- on the field of battle, and sometimes only verbally -- but we are learning that complete disrespect for the country and/or its president is fully accepted.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND NOW TOMLIN SAYS THE STEELERS WONT EVEN TAKE THE FIELD UNTIL AFTER THE ANTHEM. SO NOW AN NFL HEAD COACH IS KEEPING PLAYERS WHO MAY WANT TO RESPECT THE ANTHEM AND THE COUNTRY THAT, THEY CANNOT DO SO. SO I THINK THAT SETTLES THE ARGUMENT THAT THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT THE PLAYERS CAN AND CANT DO, DOESNT IT?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
MR KRAFT DOES NOT SAY HE AGREES WITH THE PLAYERS. NOR DOES HE SAY HE DISAGREES WITH WHAT TRUMP SAID, ONLY THAT HE IS DISAPPOINTED THAT HE SAID IT. AND IT IS ON THE BACKS OF PEOPLE THAT WERE PROUD TO STAND AND SING DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM THAT BUILT THOSE SPORTS TEAMS. GOOD FIND BORN 1. AND NICE PHOTO. ALL ARE STANDING! :Thumbsup:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
The problem I have with kneeling dyring the anthem is that IMO, it's not the time or the place to interject one's political opinion. The National Anthem has nothing to do with whomever is in office - it is for our country, AS A WHOLE, to show thanks and respect for what we have. It's not a time to petition for what we don't have - there are other venues for doing that and changimg policy.

Same for the Warriors or any other team. They are disappointed in Trump's comments, I am disappointed they took a traditional gesture and turned it into headline fodder for the media. What was to be gained by staying home in "protest"? Wouldn't it be more effective to go, meet the man, and maybe have a brief discussion? I mean, who here has had the opportunity to meet the President, as close to one on one as you could get, to tell him first hand ideas you have about improving the country? Sure, it may not work, but I'd think your viewpoint, when properly shared, would more likely be heard and considered when delivered in a respectful manner than just throwing a fit, refusi g to go, and expecting him to read your mind and "get it".

I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old and face to face civil discussions don't settle issues anymore?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Yet they stood for God save the queen.

Fundamentally, they are protesting against the unity of a Nation. IMHO, it's saying that what I'm protesting against is more important than our country. That their problems or the problems of the people they are protesting for us more important than my problems or more important than country unity.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
OK:
1. KAPERNICK PROTESTS OPRESSION OF BLACKS AND PEOPLE OF COLOR BY TAKING A KNEE.
2. OTHER PLAYERS TAKE A KNEE IN PROTEST TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR KAPERNICK. NOT THAT
THEY BELIEVE IN HIS CAUSE, JUST TO PROTEST.
3. PLAYERS TAKE A KNEE IN PROTEST THAT KAPERNICK CANT GET A JOB.
4. PLAYERS TAKE A KNEE OR DONT TAKE THE FIELD IN PROTEST OF TRUMPS COMMENTS.
SOUNDS LIKE THE 2017 WAY TO THROW A FIT IS TO TAKE A KNEE. FUCKING CRYBABIES!!!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear born1:

Would you have been prone to quote Robert Kraft when he said positive things about Donald Trump on many occasions?

Here's a couple direct quotes from Kraft earlier this year ...

“Loyalty is important to me, and he has been a wonderful friend. I think one of the great problems in the country today is the working poor, the middle class, that there hasn’t been growth in income on an equal basis, and I really think the policies he’s going to bring to bear are going to be great for the economic side of America.”

“It’s a distinct honor for us to celebrate what was unequivocally our sweetest championship with a very good friend and somebody whose mental toughness and strength I greatly admire’’

By the way, Kraft donated $1 million to Trump’s inauguration.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Here's a new NFL tactic that should be used by defensive coordinators: On key plays, have the entire defensive unit join in singing The National Anthem and prompt the opposing quarterback to take a knee.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
AND NOW TOMLIN SAYS THE STEELERS WONT EVEN TAKE THE FIELD UNTIL AFTER THE ANTHEM. SO NOW AN NFL HEAD COACH IS KEEPING PLAYERS WHO MAY WANT TO RESPECT THE ANTHEM AND THE COUNTRY THAT, THEY CANNOT DO SO. SO I THINK THAT SETTLES THE ARGUMENT THAT THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT THE PLAYERS CAN AND CANT DO, DOESNT IT?
And they were soundly booed here in Chicago when they came out of the tunnel.
Plus the Bears beat that Steeler ASS!!!!!!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAD MONEY ON PITT. DAMN IT! GLAD I LOST THAT ONE THOUGH. AND TOMLIN GAVE AN ABSOLUTE ASININE EXPLANATION.

livespive

But see, that is the thing, it has nothing to do with sports either.

The problem I have with kneeling dyring the anthem is that IMO, it's not the time or the place to interject one's political opinion. The National Anthem has nothing to do with whomever is in office - it is for our country, AS A WHOLE, to show thanks and respect for what we have. It's not a time to petition for what we don't have - there are other venues for doing that and changimg policy.

Same for the Warriors or any other team. They are disappointed in Trump's comments, I am disappointed they took a traditional gesture and turned it into headline fodder for the media. What was to be gained by staying home in "protest"? Wouldn't it be more effective to go, meet the man, and maybe have a brief discussion? I mean, who here has had the opportunity to meet the President, as close to one on one as you could get, to tell him first hand ideas you have about improving the country? Sure, it may not work, but I'd think your viewpoint, when properly shared, would more likely be heard and considered when delivered in a respectful manner than just throwing a fit, refusi g to go, and expecting him to read your mind and "get it".

I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old and face to face civil discussions don't settle issues anymore?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
But see, that is the thing, it has nothing to do with sports either.
True. Where did the idea of playing the anthem and praying before sporting events come from? I'd actually be fine with axing both from pre-event activities.

The only sporting event where the anthem would have any real significance is the Olympics.

On edit: But if they're going to play it, my opinion above still stands.

livespive

True, but like yo said at the end of your comment "Where are the face to face talks" Non existent. They don't do real talking at those things.
You can't get a talk like that going, and if you did it would turn into a yelling match, so this is the way to get your point across.

As far as the WH visits save the money and put it to a good cause.

As far as the knee thing, they are not stopping the flow of the event, so oh well.

I agree with 9 in that the only time it should be sung is during the Olympics, because you are truly representing your country at that point.

True. Where did the idea of playing the anthem and praying before sporting events come from? I'd actually be fine with axing both from pre-event activities.

The only sporting event where the anthem would have any real significance is the Olympics.

On edit: But if they're going to play it, my opinion above still stands.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
One comment on disrupting the flow... by itself, true, it doesn't. But I'll be damned if I can find any reporting on the actual games without digging for them. Almost every front page sports article today is about who is on their knees, and for once that story isn't in TMZ referring to the kardashians. It's annoying the shit out of me to the point I'm turning off the tv / internet and doing something else so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

I mean, for fuck sake even Dale Jr. felt the need to weigh in... all that fucker should be concerning himself with right now is how he's gonna manage learning to make right hand turns when heading to the store after he retires at the end of the year.

OK, another thought... I've heard people are tuning out and not watching NFL over this. If true, ratings must be hurting. NASCAR ratings have been in the shitter for a while. Is this all a ploy by the major media networks to drive down the price of sports (NFL) programming rights packages by pissing off viewers, dropping the ratings so they can negotiate (or renegotiate) those tv contracts to more favorable pricing? Or is it bigger - they're trying to force out Goodell?