We get the government we deserve

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I found some things really interesting (diving into the crap hole that is reddit) when it comes to the Trump v. Desantis Debate.

Basically, folks (both regular and internet personalities) are saying that if Desantis is the nomination somehow, that many Trump voters won't vote for Desantis. That people came out in '16 to vote for Trump that otherwise would not have voted for an R candidate ( or voted at all ).

At the same time, it was shown that many who wouldn't come out and vote for a D that year (Hilary) came out in 2020 to vote AGAINST Trump.

There's also one more interesting piece of information that came out this week from some WSJ polls. These polls basically said that 20 percent of those that were polled who would vote for Trump over Desantis ALSO believe that Desantis would beat Biden whereas Trump would not. In essence, voting for their "guy" instead of voting for the best candidate to beat Biden. This proved terrible for the Ds with Hilary as Hillary had no shot of winning against Trump, but Bernie did.

What does all this information mean? I at first couldn't accept that Primary Trump voters wouldn't vote for Desantis in the general if Desantis won, but after seeing what folks on Reddit were saying and enough proof of what has happened over the last few years, I tend to believe that this might acually be correct.

It also means that folks are tribal as hell and are are treating voting and politics like team sports instead of political civil duty. The one argument I heard was that "Trump voters won't fall in line with the Republicans" as moral or ethical defense. Are they going to vote for Biden then if Desantis wins the Primary? Not vote at all?

At the end of the day, if Desantis wins the Primary but loses the General election because Trump votes don't show to vote or would rather vote for Biden to spite Desantis, then they absolutely and unequivocally get the government they deserve and have no reason to bitch.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Once again, this is assuming there is a fair and legitimate election. We all know the chances of that!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Basically, folks (both regular and internet personalities) are saying that if Desantis is the nomination somehow, that many Trump voters won't vote for Desantis. That people came out in '16 to vote for Trump that otherwise would not have voted for an R candidate ( or voted at all ).
Dear Djarum300:

I fit into that category of people who came out in 2016 to vote for Trump after having officially left the Republican Party with no plans to ever vote in future presidential elections.

Actually in 2012, I supported a "Run Donald Run" movement, but when Trump decided not to run, I maintained my non-voting status, and only voted in 2016 when Trump entered the race. Of the 17 original GOP candidates, the only other who would have prompted me to cast a vote was Ben Carson.

Even though I like Gov. DeSantis a lot, I'll vote for Trump in the primary, and it's not going to happen, but if DeSantis were somehow to get the nomination, I would vote for him against any of the potential Democrats -- especially Biden.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Dear Djarum300:

I fit into that category of people who came out in 2016 to vote for Trump after having officially left the Republican Party with no plans to ever vote in future presidential elections.

Actually in 2012, I supported a "Run Donald Run" movement, but when Trump decided not to run, I maintained my non-voting status, and only voted in 2016 when Trump entered the race. Of the 17 original GOP candidates, the only other who would have prompted me to cast a vote was Ben Carson.

Even though I like Gov. DeSantis a lot, I'll vote for Trump in the primary, and it's not going to happen, but if DeSantis were somehow to get the nomination, I would vote for him against any of the potential Democrats -- especially Biden.
This is fairly logical. Independents voted for Trump in 16. They voted against him for the most part in 2020.

Several Twitter polls showing that folks would never vote for Desantis in a general. I find that wild.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I was listening to a Podcast and a point was brought up that Desantis won't win a Florida because Florida doesn't want him to go.

1. If you play that game, voters will come out and vote against Trump moreso than Desantis. Desantis still holds a substantial lead over independents vs Trump in the General.
2. There is some "assumption" that Trump will fire/kick folks out. He had that chance before and hired terrible people around him and kept Fouci. Desantis at least has a record of firing DAs and Sherrifs.
3. Ben Shapiro is exactly right: No one will remember Desantis by 2028 as he will be out of office for 2 years.

I honestly don't have a particular fight other than every single statewide poll right now, especially in swing states, has Biden winning against Trump. I'd rather have Desantis as the Nominee soley because all the polls in the swing states have him winning against Biden.

Even as poorly as Biden has been doing, people still hate Trump more.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I was listening to a Podcast and a point was brought up that Desantis won't win a Florida because Florida doesn't want him to go.

1. If you play that game, voters will come out and vote against Trump moreso than Desantis. Desantis still holds a substantial lead over independents vs Trump in the General.
2. There is some "assumption" that Trump will fire/kick folks out. He had that chance before and hired terrible people around him and kept Fouci. Desantis at least has a record of firing DAs and Sherrifs.
3. Ben Shapiro is exactly right: No one will remember Desantis by 2028 as he will be out of office for 2 years.

I honestly don't have a particular fight other than every single statewide poll right now, especially in swing states, has Biden winning against Trump. I'd rather have Desantis as the Nominee soley because all the polls in the swing states have him winning against Biden.

Even as poorly as Biden has been doing, people still hate Trump more.
But, who was polled and who did the polling? I've not seen a poll yet that I can believe.