Who best deserves the title of bowling's "Mr. 900"?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
In your opinion, is it ...

(A) Jeremy Sonnenfeld

(B) Walter Ray Williams

(C) Robert Mushtare

(D) Glenn Allison

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Did WRW shoot a 900?

I remember the issue with Sonnenfeld was it was separate squads wasn't it?
Dear Djarum300:

Walter Ray Williams DID NOT shoot a 900. I only included him as a multiple-choice option.

As for Sonnenfeld, he DID NOT roll on separate squads.

As for Mushtare, he rolled all three of his 900s -- two of them USBC-certified -- in PREBOWLING league sessions.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Yeah it appears he rolled them on three different pairs.

I have no qualms with shooting high scores on prebowl as long as a league rep is there and the conditions were legal. I don't think either was the case with Mushtare.

When I bowled prebowl youth back in the day, we were only allowed to do so either after league or after another youth league.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I have no qualms with shooting high scores on prebowl as long as a league rep is there and the conditions were legal. I don't think either was the case with Mushtare.
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I can assure you that there were no league representatives there when Mushtare prebowled. I'm skeptical, but not sure, about the lane conditions.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I can assure you that there were no league representatives there when Mushtare prebowled. I'm skeptical, but not sure, about the lane conditions.
That was Djarum.

I've never believed any of the Mushtare 900's were legit - IMO they were trying to game the system for the award and somehow succeeded. Didn't he have a 3rd one? If I remember, the first one was rejected. So they had the 2nd 900 (the pre-bowl in which his buddy with a low average also managed to roll a 300 game), and when it looked like that one may be rejected, he miraculously rolled another one?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I've never believed any of the Mushtare 900's were legit - IMO they were trying to game the system for the award and somehow succeeded. Didn't he have a 3rd one? If I remember, the first one was rejected. So they had the 2nd 900 (the pre-bowl in which his buddy with a low average also managed to roll a 300 game), and when it looked like that one may be rejected, he miraculously rolled another one?
Dear 9andaWiggle:

You've pretty much got it right. Mushtare DID roll a third 900 -- in the same league within a single season -- but the first of them was rejected because the league was not properly sanctioned at the time. And ALL of them were pre-bowled.

You are also right that "his buddy" -- who carried an average in the 130s -- rolled a perfect game and a 741 series during one of Mushtare's prebowled 900s. But even though there were no league officials present for any of the 900s, USBC certified two of them.

On the other hand, Bowling Headquarters has continues to reject Glenn Allison's 900, which was rolled on a second shift using a Yellow Dot, and there were MANY witnesses to his amazing feat.

Scolai

Glenn Allison is the OG of 900s.

Mushtare is a fraud, as several others have elucidated here.

Sonnenfeld is legit, but the modern era (even when he rolled his 900) makes higher scoring much easier than it was in Allison's time.

I bowled with WRWJr in the southern region several times. He's a monumental dick - a massive walking phallus. I wouldn't vote for him for garbage collector. He's a talented motherfucker, but his accomplishments are dimmed by his shitty treatment of fans and competitors.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Just sayin' ...

How can Glenn Allison have a designated title of "Mr. 900" when HE NEVER ROLLED A CERTIFIED 900?

On the other hand, wouldn't Robert Mushtare be more deserving of that title? After all, he is credited with not one, but two, USBC-CERTIFIED 900s, and actually had a THIRD one not certified (because the league was not properly sanctioned at the time).

[Now, having said that, I do firmly believe that Mushtare is a fraud who somehow flim-flammed USBC officials into believing that he did actually, and legally, roll those scores.]

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Who cares about certification anymore.

I shot my one and only certified 300 on lane conditions I'm sure weren't USBC standard.

If I go back to bowling again (thinking about it) I'm joining a non sanctioned league.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
If I go back to bowling again (thinking about it) I'm joining a non sanctioned league.
Dear Djarum300:

Needless to say, there have always been quite a few senior leagues in my area (on the west coast of Florida).

Time was, when virtually all of those senior leagues were ABC-certified, but for well over two decades, there are virtually NO certified senior leagues. And also for more than two decades, MORE THAN HALF of all leagues have been NON-CERTIFIED!

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I've been out about 8 or so years, so I don't know the state of regular leagues here in N. Alabama. I think many if not most are still sanctioned.