Why Not 8......or 10??

Djarum300

Addicted Member
3 makes sense. When one leaves to use the bathroom, there is at least two left, especially on long international flights.

JLS

Pilots appear to BE THE PROBLEM....Poorly trained or very little air time...Or fuxxcked up in the head...

AIR MARSHALS ... Put a Air Marshal in the cockpit....what could it cost??? Average flight about 3 hours...$200-$300....Most planes are carrying about 200 people...Raise the price of a ticket ONE DOLLAR and
you can cover their cost...

And they should be able to stop a nut job...where as a little flight attendant would have NO CHANCE...

No pilot should be allowed to leave the cock pit UNTIL the plane is on Auto Pilot...Then if the other pilot TRIES
to change that....An Air Marshal can stop him...where as a flight attendant would have very little chance of stopping a pilot...

Sure beats the cost of replacing an airplane...Not to mention the cost at a crash site....and the loss of lives...

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
DONT AIR MARSHALLS HAVE TO PEE TOO? I DO NOT HAVE THE ANSWER THOUGH. BUT IF A BAD MAN WANTS TO DO BAD THINGS, NOONE CAN STOP HIM.

JLS

They probably do...Now since most flights ALREADY have Air Marshals aboard...If the Air Marshal in the cock pit needs a bathroom break....another Air Marshal can take his place...

This isn't rocket science....it's just common sense...

Robadat

Here are a few suggestions...
Mental and physical exams required for all pilots by the licensing authority annually....
Require all Doctors to report to the airline's management or licensing authority when any pilot shows signs of any disease or condition that may adversely affect his ability to do his job.
Require two crew members in the cockpit at all times, Even a lowly flight attendant can open the cockpit door in time of trouble and get assistance from other members of the flight crew or even passengers, if necessary...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Mental and physical exams required for all pilots by the licensing authority annually....
Require all Doctors to report to the airline's management or licensing authority when any pilot shows signs of any disease or condition that may adversely affect his ability to do his job.
Require two crew members in the cockpit at all times, Even a lowly flight attendant can open the cockpit door in time of trouble and get assistance from other members of the flight crew or even passengers, if necessary...

↑↑↑ Yup ↑↑↑

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear Robadat:

I understand and agree with your first two points, but I don't fully comprehend the above-quoted point -- especially as pertaining to "lowly flight attendants" being able to open the cockpit door in time of trouble (and getting assistance from passengers).

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BASED ON THE MENTAL EXAM, ANYONE WITH ACCESS TO THE COCKPIT SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THAT. EVEN THE AIR MARSHALLS. IT MAY SOUND REDUNDANT, BUT BAD PEOPLE DO BAD THINGS.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
BASED ON THE MENTAL EXAM, ANYONE WITH ACCESS TO THE COCKPIT SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THAT. EVEN THE AIR MARSHALLS. IT MAY SOUND REDUNDANT, BUT BAD PEOPLE DO BAD THINGS.

Good point. And not a bad idea for the flight attendants either.

Robadat

Dear Robadat:

I understand and agree with your first two points, but I don't fully comprehend the above-quoted point -- especially as pertaining to "lowly flight attendants" being able to open the cockpit door in time of trouble (and getting assistance from passengers).
"Lowly" just a bad choice of word, I was referring to jls' comment about a little flight attendant. Even a smaller person could get assistance from others if the other crew member locks the two of them in the cockpit. The biggest problem in this flight seemed to be that the co-pilot locked everyone else out of the cockpit after he was left alone. I agree with the principle that the cockpit door should be locked to prevent some nutjob from attacking the flight crew, but there also needs to be a safeguard in place to prevent what happened in this incident. Best way to do that would be to ensure that no single person is left alone in the cockpit at any time. Most cost effective way to attain that is to allow all members to fill the second person role in the event one of the pilots needs to excuse themselves. Doesn't really need to be a pilot or air security person, all that's necessary is someone who is capable of opening the door from the inside in case of emergency.

Robadat

Pilots could carry key cards with them to open the doors.
Well, the point of having the cockpit door only being allowed to be opened from the inside was to prevent unauthorized persons from getting in. Having the pilot, or anyone else have the ability to enter without permission from the other crew member defeats that purpose. Would be terrorists only need to wait until the pilot or co-pilot leaves the cockpit and would be in a position to overcome that person to get his access card and entry into the cockpit.
Any security system is only as good as the people employing them, in this case the security system was used against the other members of the flight crew. There really is no 100% effective way to prevent this type of act outside of remotely taking over the plane's controls. I don't think the technology is there yet to do that without fears that the remote flight system could be 100% secure from being hacked.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Well, the point of having the cockpit door only being allowed to be opened from the inside was to prevent unauthorized persons from getting in. Having the pilot, or anyone else have the ability to enter without permission from the other crew member defeats that purpose. Would be terrorists only need to wait until the pilot or co-pilot leaves the cockpit and would be in a position to overcome that person to get his access card and entry into the cockpit.
Any security system is only as good as the people employing them, in this case the security system was used against the other members of the flight crew. There really is no 100% effective way to prevent this type of act outside of remotely taking over the plane's controls. I don't think the technology is there yet to do that without fears that the remote flight system could be 100% secure from being hacked.

Excellent point, Rob. I hadn't considered the hijack angle of it. I guess there really isn't a sure cure for this situation.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
"Lowly" just a bad choice of word, I was referring to jls' comment about a little flight attendant. Even a smaller person could get assistance from others if the other crew member locks the two of them in the cockpit. The biggest problem in this flight seemed to be that the co-pilot locked everyone else out of the cockpit after he was left alone. I agree with the principle that the cockpit door should be locked to prevent some nutjob from attacking the flight crew, but there also needs to be a safeguard in place to prevent what happened in this incident. Best way to do that would be to ensure that no single person is left alone in the cockpit at any time. Most cost effective way to attain that is to allow all members to fill the second person role in the event one of the pilots needs to excuse themselves. Doesn't really need to be a pilot or air security person, all that's necessary is someone who is capable of opening the door from the inside in case of emergency.
Agreed. No person should allowed to be alone in the cockpit at any time.