Working Families Party Can’t Vote for Sanders in NY Primary

Good Times Good Times

A lot has been said about NY's crappy voting rules and here is another related article I saw that could have a have a negative impact on a signfican't portion of Sanders supporters.

"As the New York primary approaches, many of Senator Bernie Sanders’s most energetic and enthusiastic supporters are members of the small but influential Working Families Party.

They have donated money, planted signs in their yards, organized rallies and phone banks, and knocked on thousands of doors on behalf of the man who many of them view as a once-in-a-lifetime dream candidate who shares their own left-of-center values.

There is just one hitch: They cannot vote for him on Tuesday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/n...a-dream-it-cant-vote-for-on-tuesday.html?_r=0

Perhaps Hillary's supporters were affected too.

Good Times Good Times

I feel like there should be universal rules. Just simplify it and make one set of rules across all states.

Why have so many voting rules in different states? Don't we want to make it easier for everyone to participate in a democracy?

The big gripe about NY is the time needed to have registered for some people. It was back in October BEFORE the first debates even began. And NY is a closed primary.

How you gonna know who you want to vote for and party, etc.? It's just cumbersome. The deadline might be the earliest of any state in the U.S.?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Hillary's supporters get to vote 2 or 3 times. Bernie's supporters don't even get to vote... and she's still struggling to shut him down.

Robadat

NY runs a CLOSED primary, as do a number of other States. Only registered Democrats vote for the Democratic candidates and registered Republicans vote for the Republican candidates. I really don't have a problem with this system, the parties are choosing their parties candidate, and it should be the members of the party who decides who runs on their ticket. If the Working Family Party doesn't run a primary, they're SOL.

What I do have problems with is that both parties closed their books to party switchers last October while newly registered voters had a deadline in March of this year to be eligible to vote in the primary. The deadline should be the same for new voters or people who decided to change party affiliation.

Also, there was a very large number of previously eligible voters from both parties who suddenly learned they were removed from the rolls and were now ineligible to vote in the primary when they showed up at the polls to vote...

livespive

True, but as we saw with Obama there could be the possibility to turn some party members.
IE, there might be some on the right that are getting fed up with the mess and might vote for someone on the left.

NY runs a CLOSED primary, as do a number of other States. Only registered Democrats vote for the Democratic candidates and registered Republicans vote for the Republican candidates. I really don't have a problem with this system, the parties are choosing their parties candidate, and it should be the members of the party who decides who runs on their ticket. If the Working Family Party doesn't run a primary, they're SOL.

What I do have problems with is that both parties closed their books to party switchers last October while newly registered voters had a deadline in March of this year to be eligible to vote in the primary. The deadline should be the same for new voters or people who decided to change party affiliation.

Also, there was a very large number of previously eligible voters from both parties who suddenly learned they were removed from the rolls and were now ineligible to vote in the primary when they showed up at the polls to vote...