DIRECTV

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAVE DIRECTV AND HAVE 353 CHANNELS, RIDICULOUS, RIGHT! SO I ONLY WATCH, 30ISH, BUT IF I CUT BACK TO A SMALLER PACKAGE, I LOSE SOME OF THE CHANNELS I LIKE TO WATCH. I KNOW WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT ROKU, FIRESTICK, AMAZON AND MAYBE A COUPLA OTHERS. I WOULD NOT CUT DIRECTV OUT ALL TOGETHER, BUT WILL ANY OR ALL OF THOSE WORK WITH DIRECTV STAYING IN PLACE? ARE THERE DIFFERENT LEVELS ON ALL THOSE LIKE DIRECTV? ARE THEY WORTH THE HIGHER LEVELS? I KNOW, FREE ADVICE, RIGHT. HOOK A BROTHER UP. :Thumbsup:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Roku is basically the hardware. You get one, sign up for the account, and you can add thousands of channels, most of which you won;t want. The two main entities on the Roku box will be Hulu and Netflix. Both pay software. I have them both and love them, although they are not live TV, and you cannot get all the shows you normally get with cable. You can also add some stand alone networks, and some that will activate off your D.TV. I love my Roku box because the image quality is about 10 times better than cable. WHY? You may ask. Because cable jams phone, internet and 300 channels into one wire. The signal is so compressed it looks like shit. My Roku box shows HD so fucking clear I can count the pores in people's skin.

Fire TV pretty good, but if you really want the good stuff you need a Prime account from amazon. $100.00 a year gets the account and includes a lot of shit. I have an account. I also have a firestick, but find that the Roku is a much better option. The firestick has "okay" video quality. If it ever pukes on me I will get the box instead. If you get either box, there are various qualities you can choose. Get a quad core processor and about 4 to 8 gigs of ram for best quality and speed. Oh, and they both require a wifi net in the house.

I've also jailbroken my firestick and installed Kodi. BUT, most of the kodi repositories are down now so it's not much good. It MAY be good again. Time will tell.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THANX G! IM REALLY NOT UP OR GOOD WITH ALL THE TECHNICAL STUFF. SO, GOOD ADVICE BRO.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
The good thing about Netflix and Hulu is that when you find a show you like they usually have ALL the seasons so you can start at the beginning and binge out til you're caught up. Then, if you want to keep up on a series, you can get them a day late.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAVE NEVER DONE HULU OR NETFLIX. I HAVE HEARD OF THEM, JUST NOT USED THEM. I USED TO RENT MOVIES FROM DIRECTV BUT HAVNT DONE THAT IN QUIT AWHILE NOW. SINCE I AM SEMI RETIRED, JUST LOOKING AT DIFFERENT OPTIONS. THANX!

livespive

Like greg said, it kinda depends on if you like live or reruns.
The wife and I like Golden Girls, Rosanne Everyone loves Raymond, Law and order etc, so we have Net Flix
along with Direct TV. My wife, is a TV freak. I told her we were going to get rid of cable, and just use our Chromecast
and box sets of DVDs, she had a cow. That is how we got Direct TV.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
LOL. I DONT THINK I COULD GET RID OF DIRECTV, JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WORKS WITH IT.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I LIVE IN MINEOLA NOW G, ABOUT 90 MILES FROM DALLAS. BUT I PAY MY BILL ONLINE SO THEY ALLOW ME TO KEEP MY DALLAS CHANNELS.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'm sure Dallas probably has about 30 channels you can get for free with a good UHF antenna and a 30db RF amp. Total cost under 200 bux for a great deep fringe antenna.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Here is an estimate of Dallas channels. If there are other towers in nearby locations, you could use a rotor or just put up two antennae using a signal combiner to get the others.

EDIT: Here is a list of your local stations that you could get with a small antenna. I'd still use a deep fringe model. So, two antennae, or a deep fringe directional with a rotor would get these AND Dallas channels.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Just go grab a cheap digital antenna at Wal Mart, hang it in your wall, and see what you get. You might be surprised. If it don't work, just take it back.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I TRIED 9. THATS WHY I WAS ASKING ABOUT THE ROKU AND THE LIKE.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AFTER YOU MENTIONED THE TOWER THING G, STARTED PAYING ATTENTION. THERE ARE SEVERAL OF THOSE WITHIN A FEW MILES OF ME. I NEVER PUT THE 2 THINGS TOGETHER. GOOD CALL.

I got us a fire stick a few months ago... We have used it way more than I thought we would... I have Amazon prime and started a Netflix account shortly afterwards. Really contemplating cutting the cord once our contract with Comcast runs out in a few months...