Don't Believe GTGT Will Call Out Liberal Bullshit?

Good Times Good Times

Sexually active students must be reported to law enforcement or state officials, Ore. school district says...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ct-says/?tid=ss_tw-amp&utm_term=.1e1e2553b85a

"Teachers and staff in the Salem-Keizer school district — which includes more than 40,000 students — were recently told that if they learn or merely suspect a student is sexually active, they must report it to law enforcement or state officials.

According to Oregon law, anyone under 18 years old cannot legally give consent, meaning all sexual activity between minors is considered sexual abuse. This policy, district officials say, stems from Oregon’s mandatory reporting and child abuse laws. But that seems to be a singular interpretation of the law. The Statesman Journal reached out to school districts around the state and found that not one of them had the same mandate.

The subject came up at a training session for teachers and staff in the school district because “we felt like we hadn’t made it clear enough,” as Superintendent Christy Perry told the Statesman Journal.

During the presentation, the district offered several specific examples of when an employee needs to contact law enforcement. These include a 15-year-old telling a teacher that she is having sex with her boyfriend and wants to learn about birth control, or a 17-year-old confiding in a teacher that his 16-year-old girlfriend is pregnant.

Another example: “A 14-year-old boy confides in you that he was kicked out of the house after his parents discovered that he was in a same-sex relationship. During the conversation, the student shares that he has engaged in sexual acts with his partner.”

The district claimed the policy is for the teenagers’ safety."

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I, and almost all of my classmates (male AND female) would have been locked up and labeled sex offenders if this was on the books when I was in school! And let's not pretend our parents, grand parent, great grand parents, etc. were any more pure and innocent. Horny teenagers fool around. Always have, and hopefully always will.

Hell, I remember at age 7 or 8 being curious about my friend's sisters... and they were equally curious about me! Obviously we didn't know much and weren't doing much at that point, but we'd occasionally sneak off/hide for some "show and tell".

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HOW MANY TIMES, HAVE WE AS PARENTS, WONDERED WHY THE SCHOOL DIDNT INTERVENE IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY HAD CONTROL OF OUR KIDS DURING THE DAY. BULLYING, TEACHER MISCONDUCT AND SO ON. NOW A SCHOOL DISTRICT IS TRYING TO DO JUST THAT, AND THEY ARE BEING LAMBASTED. WHEN WE WERE KIDS THERE WAS CURIOSITY. BUT TODAY THERE ARE TEENAGE PREDATORS, AND TEACHERS, THAT ARE OUT THERE IN THE SCHOOLS JUST LOOKING TO DO HARM. AND COMPARING JAYWALIKNG TO SEXUAL ACTIVITY, IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE THOSE KIDS ARE VERY WELL EDUCATED ANYWAY.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
HOW MANY TIMES, HAVE WE AS PARENTS, WONDERED WHY THE SCHOOL DIDNT INTERVENE IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY HAD CONTROL OF OUR KIDS DURING THE DAY. BULLYING, TEACHER MISCONDUCT AND SO ON. NOW A SCHOOL DISTRICT IS TRYING TO DO JUST THAT, AND THEY ARE BEING LAMBASTED. WHEN WE WERE KIDS THERE WAS CURIOSITY. BUT TODAY THERE ARE TEENAGE PREDATORS, AND TEACHERS, THAT ARE OUT THERE IN THE SCHOOLS JUST LOOKING TO DO HARM. AND COMPARING JAYWALIKNG TO SEXUAL ACTIVITY, IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE THOSE KIDS ARE VERY WELL EDUCATED ANYWAY.
But the curiosity is still there for all those students who are not psycologically screwed up monsters (wait, I'm talking about teenagers, right? There's a joke there to be made but I'll leave that to ya'll! :p ) Why take away their fun and turn them into criminals?

True, the schools should be more supportive and helpful when cases of actual abuse are brought to their attention, but I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHEN DOES "PICKING" ON SOMEONE BECOME BULLYING?
WHEN DOES "YOU SHOW ME YOURS I'LL SHOW YOU MINE" BECOME SEXUALL HARASSMENT?
(18 YEAR OLD BOY TO 15 YEAR OLD GIRL)
I DO THINK "MERELY SUSPECT" IS A STRETCH, I SUSPECT EVERYONE OVER 13 IS ACTIVE TO SOME POINT.
I WOULD BE CURIOUS TO HEAR WHAT THE PARENTS IN THAT DISTRICT HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT.
BY WHAT I READ, IF A TEACHER KNOWS SOMETHING AND DOESNT SAY SOMETHING, THEY ARE OPEN TO FIRING AND POSSIBLE LAW SUITS FROM THE PARENT.
AND WHAT ARE WE ALWAYS TOLD, SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Not sure what it's like these days, but how about meaningful sex ed? When I took it, the class was merely a watered down session of being told to "just abstain" mixed with some basic anatomy, vague references to STD's, and highlighted by showing us the gross video of a child birth.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IM NOT SURE ITS EVEN TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS ANYMORE. TO MANY PARENTS COMPLAINING IT WASNT THE PLACE FOR IT. AND NO TEACHERS ACTUALLY KNEW HOW TO TEACH IT.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
IM NOT SURE ITS EVEN TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS ANYMORE. TO MANY PARENTS COMPLAINING IT WASNT THE PLACE FOR IT. AND NO TEACHERS ACTUALLY KNEW HOW TO TEACH IT.
Yet very few parents, that I know of, ever approached the subject with their kids. I imagine that hasn't changed much.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND THATS THE PROBLEM 9. MOST PARENTS TODAY DONT TEACH THEIR KIDS RIGHT FROM WRONG. KIDS DO SOMETHING WRONG AND THE PARENTS JUST BAIL THEM OUT. THAT JUST TEACHES KIDS THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND SOMEONE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. AND IM NOT SAYING ALL PARENTS, BUT ALOT OF THEM. THE PARENTS NOT CARING TEACHES THE KIDS NOT TO CARE. NOT MEANT TO GET OFF COURSE OF TOPIC. BUT IT FOLLOWS OTHER ISSUES WITH KIDS TODAY. SCHOOLS BLAME PARENTS - PARENTS BLAME SCHOOLS. WHATS THE PHRASE, "ITS JUST A PHASE THEIR GOING THRU".

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Yet very few parents, that I know of, ever approached the subject with their kids. I imagine that hasn't changed much.
Approached teen sex or the fact they could go to jail?

My parents had the discussion with me when before i went to high school.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Approached teen sex or the fact they could go to jail?

My parents had the discussion with me when before i went to high school.
Both. You are one of maybe 3 people I have known whose parents actually talked to them about sex. Mine never did.

Thus, my problem with this approach is, the natural physical sexual attraction is built into all of us to ensure procreation of the species. Throwing kids in jail without ever making an attempt to EDUCATE them first doesn't sit well with me. It's not a good way to approach the situation.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THAT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE 9. IF THY ARE UNDER A CERTAIN AGE, THEY CANT GIVE CONSENT. IF THE PARENTS HAVNT TAUGHT THEM THAT BY A CERTAIN AGE (WHAT AGE IS APPROPRIATE?) OR THE KID HASNT FIGURED OUT ITS NOT LEGAL, THEN THERE ARE MORE PROBLEMS THAN WE CAN IMAGINE. MAY BE OFF BASE, BUT SAY A 13 YEAR OLD KILLS A CLASSMATE ON PURPOSE. THEN SAYS NOONE EVER SAID IT WAS ILLEGAL. BY AGE 13, I THINK THEY ARE AWARE OF RIGHT AND WRONG. AGAIN, CURIOUS IS ONE THING, INTERCOURSE IS ANOTHER. KIDS GROW UP MUCH FASTER THAN WE DID WHEN I WAS A KID.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Both. You are one of maybe 3 people I have known whose parents actually talked to them about sex. Mine never did.

Thus, my problem with this approach is, the natural physical sexual attraction is built into all of us to ensure procreation of the species. Throwing kids in jail without ever making an attempt to EDUCATE them first doesn't sit well with me. It's not a good way to approach the situation.
I was raised Catholic, my mother was an RN, and my father was a woodshop teacher. Teenage sex was discussed several times, including the consequences ( getting a girl pregnant, STDs, etc.)

Now going to jail? What's up with that.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I was on the Oregon reddit, and some of the information given to teachers was that if a student asks a teacher about birth control or advice on sex and the student confides to the teacher that they've had sex, then a teacher has to report it.

One user pointed out, that, since the history of time, when have students, outside the rare occasion, asked a teacher about sex advice?

While that is ultimately true, I believe it's a sad state in which we live in that students won't talk to teachers or advisors when they should, and now they pretty much will never do in fear of getting into trouble.

Teenagers are already going to be awkward, along with parents in the discussion. Making students and teens more comfortable about discussing it is the solution, not less.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I was on the Oregon reddit, and some of the information given to teachers was that if a student asks a teacher about birth control or advice on sex and the student confides to the teacher that they've had sex, then a teacher has to report it.

One user pointed out, that, since the history of time, when have students, outside the rare occasion, asked a teacher about sex advice?

While that is ultimately true, I believe it's a sad state in which we live in that students won't talk to teachers or advisors when they should, and now they pretty much will never do in fear of getting into trouble.

Teenagers are already going to be awkward, along with parents in the discussion. Making students and teens more comfortable about discussing it is the solution, not less.
That's why I think education is the solution. At the very least, classroom instruction on respect in general. Then go to specifics regarding sexual harassment/abuse - what is a welcome/appropriate touch or comment vs what is out of bounds. What consent means (forced vs given). Appropriate ways to clearly and respectfully state when you are NOT giving consent (de-escalate the situation peacefully), as well as how one should respectfully react when told "no, I don't like that/want to do this". And lastly, how and to whom one can report instances of abuse/harassment, as well as the general sequence of events that will take place after a report is made.