Local Guides?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I've posted a few good, honest reviews on google maps, and now they ask me to join as a "local guide". Funny, half of my reviews are places well out of my own town, but whatever. Anyway, the question is; Have any of you done this? If so, is it a cool experience, a pain in the ass, or "meh, same thing I was doing but now with an icon by my name in the review"?

Honestly, I'm not much interested in reviewing the slew of chain restaurants and stores in my area. I prefer to seek out places that are local owned Mom n Pop joints or businesses that are unique to off the wall. Kitchy. Cheesy. Perhaps touristy if done right.

So far most of my (maybe 10?) reviews have been of businesses that fit that mold. Naturally, if I maintain that requisite, my reviews will be fewer and scattered about (hopefully) the globe. I've never thought a whole lot about it, but decent reviews with relevant information and a decent pic (I need to work on that, not a big pic taking/posting person) can be hard to find. When I travel, I do look at reviews and appreciate the good ones. They can become very valuable sources of information when trekking far from home.

In addition to the pics, I'll also need to work on reviews of places that are quite average, or even ones I flat out didn't like. All of my reviews so far have been of places I enjoyed - guess I see it as a reward for doing it right. Everybody bitches about a bad experience, so I like to make sure a good experience is shared - especially with the small budget mom n pops. Word of mouth is often their only form of marketing, so I like to try to get the word out to help them be successful.

So, ya'll have any experience or thoughts on this?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Shit, if they pay ya, go for it.
I don't think they pay cash. It appears you can "earn" an upgrade to 2TB storage on google cloud, and maybe get selected for some "Guide Gathering" whatever that is. They claim potential to receive "special offers", a yearly surprise gift, and maybe see some google updates before they hit the market.

I guess it's something, but not sure any of that has much value for me.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I've posted a few good, honest reviews on google maps, and now they ask me to join as a "local guide". Funny, half of my reviews are places well out of my own town, but whatever. Anyway, the question is; Have any of you done this? If so, is it a cool experience, a pain in the ass, or "meh, same thing I was doing but now with an icon by my name in the review"?

Honestly, I'm not much interested in reviewing the slew of chain restaurants and stores in my area. I prefer to seek out places that are local owned Mom n Pop joints or businesses that are unique to off the wall. Kitchy. Cheesy. Perhaps touristy if done right.

So far most of my (maybe 10?) reviews have been of businesses that fit that mold. Naturally, if I maintain that requisite, my reviews will be fewer and scattered about (hopefully) the globe. I've never thought a whole lot about it, but decent reviews with relevant information and a decent pic (I need to work on that, not a big pic taking/posting person) can be hard to find. When I travel, I do look at reviews and appreciate the good ones. They can become very valuable sources of information when trekking far from home.

In addition to the pics, I'll also need to work on reviews of places that are quite average, or even ones I flat out didn't like. All of my reviews so far have been of places I enjoyed - guess I see it as a reward for doing it right. Everybody bitches about a bad experience, so I like to make sure a good experience is shared - especially with the small budget mom n pops. Word of mouth is often their only form of marketing, so I like to try to get the word out to help them be successful.

So, ya'll have any experience or thoughts on this?
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I've never contributed to anything such as you describe, but I suppose I could do so. For a few years, one of my newspaper duties was travel editor, and as such, I wrote a number of columns on various travel subjects and venues.