MADD's DADDS

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY WOULD NEED ALOT OF WORK TO MAKE THEM FUNCTION CORRECTLY. THEY ARE EASY TO OUT WIT AND CAN BE A DANGER TO A SOBER DRIVER. I HAVE HAD A COUPLA FRIENDS THAT HAVE BEEN FORCED TO INSTALL THEM HERE IN TEXAS. ONE OF THEM CAUSED A CRASH ON A HIGHWAY WHEN THE SYSTEM FAILED AND CAUSED THE VEHICLE ENGINE TO STOP.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
One of the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) officials in my area may have been opposed to drunk driving, but she was jailed for various cocaine violations.

MI2AZ

How many of those type of ADD organizations are there? And I always thought it was Against Drunk Driving but drivers makes sense.

MADD = Mothers Against Drunk Drivers

SADD = Students Against Drunk Drivers

FADD = Fathers

FADD (another one) = Friends

GLADD = Gays and Lesbians

BADD = Brothers - just found out it is really Bikers

TADD = Teens

VLADD = Vampire Lovers

AFADD = Armed Forces

BDADD = Biker Dads (guess they don't agree with the bachelor bikers of BADD)

AADD = Airmen

LADD = Laredoans (I thought it would be Ladies, Lads or Lassies)

RADD = Recording Artists

CADD = Churls

UDADD = Underage Drinkers (no joke)

livespive

IN my opinion, anything like that, that is automatic is dangerous. Even that auto breaking stuff in the cars.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Then there's DAMM. Drunks Against Mad Mothers. But they seem to have a problem staying focused. Organization is paltry, with member participation being sporadic and unreliable. :Biggrin:

In reading the article, it says it samples the air in the cabin. Yes, the sampling device is placed on the steering wheel, but what if you are a DD for 3 or 4 very intoxicated people. Would this device be able to know that the alcohol in the air did not come from the driver, not a chance.

If you want to implement something like this, can't you do it like they do with Diabetes testers?!? The ones I have seen take only a few seconds to give you a reading, with a small sample of blood, can't you just do they same here, instead of reading blood sugar level, read alcohol level? It may not be 100% accurate, but it should do the trick. If you are close enough to the legal limit that the meter says you are over, you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

Robadat

In reading the article, it says it samples the air in the cabin. Yes, the sampling device is placed on the steering wheel, but what if you are a DD for 3 or 4 very intoxicated people. Would this device be able to know that the alcohol in the air did not come from the driver, not a chance.

If you want to implement something like this, can't you do it like they do with Diabetes testers?!? The ones I have seen take only a few seconds to give you a reading, with a small sample of blood, can't you just do they same here, instead of reading blood sugar level, read alcohol level? It may not be 100% accurate, but it should do the trick. If you are close enough to the legal limit that the meter says you are over, you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.
This is supposed to be a non-invasive, passive system that would prevent a drunk driver from starting a vehicle. I don't think that a system that requires a person to submit a blood sample each time they get behind the wheeel would be feasible or welcomed by the public. Maybe if they can implement some sort of touch based system that can read a person's BAC before allowing a vehicle to start could work.

Concerns about having drunk passengers setting off a breath based system are valid, how does the vehicle discern who (driver or passenger(s)) has alcohol on their breath when measuring cabin air? Not sure it can do that without getting some false positives for the sober driver.

As good as it seems, I think we're a long way off from having this type of system in automobiles. I don't think the neccessary technology is here yet.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SET UP TO READ "ANY" ALCOHOL. BOARDERLINE RIGHT NOW, COULD MEAN OVER THE LIMIT IN 20 MINUTES.