Man Jailed Over Milk Crate On Bike

MI2AZ

A man was arrested in Polk Country, Florida, Thursday after deputies spotted him riding around town with a dairy crate attached to his bicycle, reports WFLA. Timothy Troller claims he found the dairy crate on the side of the road and attached it to his bicycle— a common modification many cyclists use as a way to add storage to their bikes. Police officers say since the crate had the name of a local business on it, Sunshine State Dairy Farms, the crate belonged to the farm, and Troller was in possession of stolen property. Local sheriffs booked Troller into the Polk County Jail, where he will will face a fine or a short jail stay.

Troller's official charge: Possession of Dairy Crate. "Those who will go out an steal a milk crate ... are the same people who are probably breaking into cars, breaking into your house," Polk County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Carrie Horstman says. It turns out Troller does have several prior offenses. His grandfather, though, says that doesn't justify the police taking action on such a "silly" pretext. "Wait until he does something wrong," the grandfather says. Horstman disagrees, saying: "You know the old rule we always tell our kids: If it’s not yours, don’t take it. Don’t ride around with it attached to your bike."

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY WRITE TICKETS FOR IT HERE IN DALLAS. ITS STILL THEFT. THAT COMPANY PAID TO HAVE THOSE MADE AND PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. POLICE JUST DOING THERE JOB. SHOULDNT BE ANY COMPLAINTS. NOONE GOT SHOT.

livespive

They don't do it around here.......
So you mean if that guy would have scratched the name off, everything would have been fine??????

FL cops have also been known to stop people from helping others as well.

THEY WRITE TICKETS FOR IT HERE IN DALLAS. ITS STILL THEFT. THAT COMPANY PAID TO HAVE THOSE MADE AND PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. POLICE JUST DOING THERE JOB. SHOULDNT BE ANY COMPLAINTS. NOONE GOT SHOT.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So, if I'm wearing a Nike shirt... it's not mine because the name of the business is on it and I could be arrested. Makes sense. :confused:

Growing up, everybody had milk crates in their garage to store stuff in. I never grew up thinking they were stolen. It was just something people had. I figured the milk company expected people to keep them as advertisement. Businesses used to do stuff like that - they gave out calendars, caps, coin purses, pens, t-shirts etc. with the company name on them.

livespive

That's what I am saying, DJ's carry records in them. I can remember going to the store and asking for one.....

The world is going to hell in a hand basket.... (I mean milk crate :) )

So, if I'm wearing a Nike shirt... it's not mine because the name of the business is on it and I could be arrested. Makes sense. :confused:

Growing up, everybody had milk crates in their garage to store stuff in. I never grew up thinking they were stolen. It was just something people had. I figured the milk company expected people to keep them as advertisement. Businesses used to do stuff like that - they gave out calendars, caps, coin purses, pens, t-shirts etc. with the company name on them.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
That's what I am saying, DJ's carry records in them. I can remember going to the store and asking for one.....

The world is going to hell in a hand basket.... (I mean milk crate :) )
Besides, he could have easily bought it at a garage sale, flea market, etc. It's not like they're not out there.

MI2AZ

Do they arrest homeless people because they have shopping carts? Seriously, I don't know.

MI2AZ

I see a lot of guys with Storm or RotoGrip on their bowling jerseys. Will the police assume they were stolen from staffers?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IF HE MADE A SHIRT OR HAT OUT OF IT, THEY MAY HAVE LEFT HIM ALONE. :Laugh: HERE IN DALLAS, BUSINESS GOT TIRED OF HAVING TO REPLACE THE CRATES. I DONT THINK THEY GET THEM FOR FREE.