Mini-editorial: Stock-market swings aren't all about the coronavirus

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear REVerse and Greg T:

I do know, and unlike average citizens, CONGRESS HAS EXEMPTED ITSELF from insider trading laws, so THEY ARE ALLOWED to trade on private information while other Americans can't. And that's probably the reason that you don't see any House or Senate committees looking into the stock market turmoil. As I said a few posts ago, many (or most) of the massive buy-and-sell transactions are likely from government officials themselves.

Last edited:

REVerse °

Addicted Member
Dear REVerse and Greg T:

I do know, and unlike average citizens, CONGRESS HAS EXAMPTED ITSELF from insider trading laws, so THEY ARE ALLOWED to trade on private information while other Americans can't. And that's probably the reason that you don't see any House or Senate committees looking into the stock market turmoil. As I said a few posts ago, many (or most) of the massive buy-and-sell transactions are likely from government officials themselves.
Thanks AW. I hope this crisis forces these laws to be changed.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I started another thread on this, but a few posts back in this thread, I commented that GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS may have been behind stock-market manipulation, and it appears that I WAS CORRECT. [Read the first item in the new thread about U.S. senators taking huge amounts of money out of the stock market.]

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THEY HOWEVER CAN BE EXPELLED THEN PROSECUTED. THERE ARE 2 REP SENATORS WHO ARE FACING THAT NOW.

Good Times Good Times

Help me out here, ya’ll..

Is it true that members of congress can participate in insider trading without any repercussions?
No. It's called the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act passed in 2012.

People who get Top Secret Intelligence briefings and then trade on that info not available to the public should go to prison, period.

It's a non-partisan issue.