NFL's huge subsidies and tax-exempt status may be in jeopardy

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The NFL is starting to see what big trouble they are actually in. The protests have taken a huge chunk of revenue from the league as more and more fans decide that it is not worth the trouble. There is simply no excuse for what is going on right now. Fans have been clear that they do not agree with what is currently going on. And yet, the NFL continues to side with the players.

But as it turns out, the NFL might be in more trouble than we had originally thought. It has been reported that the NFL receives around $1 billion in subsidies every single year. As a non-profit organization, they are able to get this money. Most people might think that this is a business. But this could not be further from the truth.

Here's a link to the full story ...

https://worldpoliticus.com/2017/09/25/billion-dollar-federal-tax-subsidies-nfl-exposed/

livespive

It is the end of the month for me, so I don't have time to read it yet (gotta get projects out), but how do they get away with being non profit anyway?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
It is the end of the month for me, so I don't have time to read it yet (gotta get projects out), but how do they get away with being non profit anyway?
Dear livespive:

Rightly or wrongly, here's here’s how the IRS describes 501(c)6 tax-exempt status:

Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides for the exemption of business leagues, chambers of commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade and professional football leagues, which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

radioactive

And Rodgers is asking Packers fans to link arms tonight during the National anthem to show support for them. Is he fucking crazy? Here's the quote:

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers explained his reasoning. “This is about equality,” Rodgers said on Tuesday. “This is about unity and love and growing together as a society and starting a conversation around something that may be a little bit uncomfortable for people.”

“We’ve got to come together and talk about these things and grow as a community, as a connected group of individuals in our society. We’re going to continue to show love and unity, and this week we’re going to ask the fans to join in as well and come together and show people that we can be connected and we can grow together.”