Obamacare

Djarum300

Addicted Member
This as an interesting take on Obamacare.

https://fee.org/articles/the-scandalous-truth-about-obamacare-is-laid-bare/

Capitalism doesn't solve the issue of the poor or elderly unable to afford healthcare but I think it solves many problems for most.

I personally can't take the opinion of not providing basic health care of those who can't afford insurance, however. Just as I believe an educated society benefits all society, I believe a healthy society benefits all of society. This is where the capitalistic methods fail at some level, even for me.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
GOOD FIND AND GOOD READ DJ. :Thumbsup: IT JUST ALWAYS SEEMED TO ME, ONLY MY OPINION, FORCED INSURANCE WOULD LEAD TO MORE FORCING.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
If you want people to be healthy, push for the gov to subsidize something other than corn - make it cheaper for people to eat healthy, and raise the price of unhealthy foods that should be an occasional trwat or snack and not a steady diet. Push for the government to actually monitor the safety of the food industry and force them to provide full disclosure on the ingredients, where they come from, and where they are processed. While we're at it, they shiuld limit what/how much sugar and sodium can be added to products.

As for the ACA, my beef is it didn't go far enough to regulate the industry and limit/control cost. IMO it was primarily a cash grab designed to force every American to give the insurance companies their money.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
And I'd argue that greed and investors untralistic demand for double digit returns year after year is why healthcare (and everything else) is so expensive. Why else would big pharma spend millions on tv advertisements every year to convince people they need the latest *prescription* drugs and not just let the Dr.s prescribe those meds as they determine is necessary for the patient?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I'd argue that regulations is why healthcare is so expensive.
That ... AND the cost of insurance.

Certainly, insurance, in many instances, keeps people from paying health-care costs far beyond their means. But obviously, the insurance companies make money -- LOTS of money -- so considering the overall cost to all Americans, a procedure that would cost $1,000 ACTUALLY costs well over that amount (on average) to the entire public.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
And I'd argue that greed and investors untralistic demand for double digit returns year after year is why healthcare (and everything else) is so expensive. Why else would big pharma spend millions on tv advertisements every year to convince people they need the latest *prescription* drugs and not just let the Dr.s prescribe those meds as they determine is necessary for the patient?
But much of that is regulated by the feds paid off by lobbyists. Those lobbyists are propping up profits by lobbying for more regulations to reduce competition.

Why aren't there more doctors? AMA setting the quotas.

Why is medical equipment so expensive? Because those already in the game are paying the feds to regulate competition.

Why are we behind on drugs? Regulations set by the FDA paid by the lobbyists.

Why aren't there more health insurance options? No competition.

Forcibly setting price is just trying to regulate a problem already caused by regulations.

https://www.salon.com/2016/10/28/ma...urance-companies-are-reaping-massive-profits/

I'm posting an article that is negative towards insurance companies but the article has numbers I can use. Aetna made almost 800 million on 15B in revenue for a quarter. That's about 5 or 6 percent margin. Many insurance companies can only have 8 to 12 percent over what they pay in premiums, especially like BCBS.

Walmart is in the 30s for their margins. Most grocery stores hover in the 20s. Should Walmart only be able to get a 5 percent profit? Groceries are just as important as healthcare.

I do think some of these CEOs make too much money, especially in the healthcare field.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Fair points. I wasn't thinking of regulation in that light... should have been, that's normally how I'd be thinking about anything corp. controlled via government. Apparently, I didn't have my V8 this morning! :Confused: