Online Sales (Supreme Court ruling)

Good Times Good Times

Supreme Court decides 5-4 that states can tax things you buy online. Get ready, things you buy online will start to get more expensive as states now find a way to get much needed income.

It was the four Conservatives (and Ginsburg) on the Court that voted to allow the tax.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'm not surprised, and honestly not even upset. Fair is fair - if a business is to collect sales tax, then it shouldn't matter the manner in which they make the sale.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I'm not surprised, and honestly not even upset. Fair is fair - if a business is to collect sales tax, then it shouldn't matter the manner in which they make the sale.
I should I pay sales tax in my state when the company I purchased from has zero presence in my state? The argument has always been that sales tax helps the infrastructure between consumers and businesses. That's not the case here.

Fair is fair would imply I'd pay the state sales tax in the state I'm buying from.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BUT THE STATE SALES TAX WHERE THE PRODUCT COMES FROM MAY BE HIGHER THAN THE STATE SALES TAX YOU PAY IN YOUR STATE.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
BUT THE STATE SALES TAX WHERE THE PRODUCT COMES FROM MAY BE HIGHER THAN THE STATE SALES TAX YOU PAY IN YOUR STATE.
Very true. Our city tax is 9 percent. I know some are higher.

Maybe states can come together on a flat tax for all states.