Parents Say: Less Spanking, More Time-Outs

MI2AZ

A long-range study on how parents discipline their kids shows a clear trend: spanking is down and time-outs are up. The Georgetown researchers looked specifically at national surveys involving mothers with kindergarten-age kids and found that modern parents across all income levels report spanking their children less than their counterparts in 1988, reports Live Science. For example, the percentage of average-income mothers who endorsed the idea of spanking dropped from 46% in 1988 to 21% in 2011. At the same time, the overall percentage of mothers who backed non-physical time-out punishments rose from 41% to 81%. One researcher not involved with the study cautions that what parents say they do may be different than what they actually do inside their home.

Still, "parents seem to be using more reasoning and nonphysical discipline strategies with children, which is in line with what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended in 1998," says lead researcher Rebecca Ryan, per HealthDay. Generally speaking, the lower the income, the more likely mothers were to endorse physical discipline. About a third of those in the bottom 10% of incomes backed the idea in 2011, and 25% had actually spanked their kids in the previous week. Still, the researchers say in the American Academy of Pediatrics that "changes have occurred at all socioeconomic levels, producing for some behaviors a significant reduction in socioeconomic differences."

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Oh fuck. Here we go again with everyone gets a trophy and we don't keep score because we don't want anyones feelings hurt.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Yup. Raised my boys on my own terms, was rather stern but fair with them and am proud to say I have no thieves, drug addicts, jail birds or entitleists among them. I've got three boys who always help others, give when they can, and know that if they want something they will work for it. And, there was no "time-outs" in my house. And nobody got a trophy unless they earned it.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Yup. Raised my boys on my own terms, was rather stern but fair with them and am proud to say I have no thieves, drug addicts, jail birds or entitleists among them. I've got three boys who always help others, give when they can, and know that if they want

something they will work for it. And, there was no "time-outs" in my house. And nobody got a trophy unless they earned it.
I agree 100%. my job was to get them ready for life, not to be there buddy. Don't get me wrong we had good times and all that but my number one goal was to make them into well adjusted adults.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yup. Raised my boys on my own terms, was rather stern but fair with them and am proud to say I have no thieves, drug addicts, jail birds or entitleists among them. I've got three boys who always help others, give when they can, and know that if they want something they will work for it. And, there was no "time-outs" in my house. And nobody got a trophy unless they earned it.
Asshole. You probably fucked them up real bad by not recognizing each of them as the special little flowers they are. I hope they don't go out and do something totally bat-shit crazy, like becoming a productive member of society. Shit, man, how are they going to have time to understand their feelings and express themselves and stuff if they're out earning their own way, being active in their communities, and actively raising their own kids/family? I don't know how you can live with yourself.

Robadat

There is no single "fits all" approach to disciplining a kid. Every kid is different and discipline needs to be tailored to the child.

Time outs meant absolutely nothing to my son growing up. You could put him in the corner facing the wall all day and he still wouldn't fess up or apologize. However, the mere threat of a whack on the butt would make him sing like a bird... He only received one good thrashing in his youth. At 9, he turned around and called his mother a c-word, that didn't go over too well with her husband... Don't think I've ever heard him say that word again about anyone other than Hillary...:Biggrin:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Asshole. You probably fucked them up real bad by not recognizing each of them as the special little flowers they are. I hope they don't go out and do something totally bat-shit crazy, like becoming a productive member of society. Shit, man, how are they going to have time to understand their feelings and express themselves and stuff if they're out earning their own way, being active in their communities, and actively raising their own kids/family? I don't know how you can live with yourself.
Its not easy being me. ;)

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... and that's the way it should be.