Racism gone amok: High school Coach Of The Year fired because he 'liked' tweet

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
[EDITOR'S NOTE: The hypocrisy and political correctness regarding racism in America continues to be ridiculous, and here's a perfect example of a situation from my immediate area on the west coast of Florida]

John Peacock, the head football coach who led his Venice High School football team to the 2017 state championship and was named Florida Coach Of The Year, was fired Wednesday (April 25) because of a tweet that could be perceived as racist.

Peacock has a rivalry with Braden River High School Coach Curt Bradley, and recently the fired coach liked a tweet made by one of his players that poked fun at Bradley's skin color. The tweet showed a picture of a spray tan bottle and asked, "Is this what you use [Coach Bradley?]"

Bradley is multi-racial and he found the post offensive, and he sent an e-mail saying in part, "I am all for healthy rivalry and competition, however, as educators and adults who are very influential in the development of young minds, we must be extremely careful to not cross lines."

Peacock released a statement saying, in part, "I thought this to be a joke about him using spray tan, I had no clue he was multi-racial. I did not come out publicly to defend myself when this occurred because I was asked not to. Nothing was intended to be racist ... (and) I’m appalled at Coach Bradley's desperate attempt to exploit today’s racial tension to distract from the disgrace he has brought to his program."

The "disgrace" Peacock referred to was that under Bradley, Braden River was penalized for holding illegal practices. Peacock went on to say, "This has happened because I was the coach that finally stood up and exposed Coach Bradley for cheating in order to protect the integrity of high school football. I knew this could be an outcome of that decision, and I was willing to accept that. As sad and unfortunate as it is, it was the right thing to do and I would do it again."

Last edited: