Russia Decriminalizing Domestic Violence

MI2AZ

Domestic violence is inarguably bad—but for nearly 400 members of Russia's parliament, it's not that bad if it only happens once a year and doesn't cause "substantial bodily harm." That's the 380-3 opinion that led to a bill being passed Friday in the country's Duma, or lower chamber, to decriminalize domestic violence violations and instead issue a fine of around $500 or a 15-day arrest if it doesn't happen again within 12 months, USA Today reports. The upper chamber gets a crack at the bill next, where it's expected to sail through before moving on to President Vladimir Putin's desk—and he's already suggested he'll support it. The decision would reverse the country's Supreme Court decision last year to keep criminal charges for anyone accused of battery against family members.

"Violence isn't just a norm, it's our style of life," an advocate for tougher laws tells the Economist. (The magazine takes note of a Russian proverb: "If he beats you, it means he loves you.") Indeed, a mid-January survey by a state-run pollster found 19% of Russians believe, "in certain circumstances," that it "can be acceptable" to hit a spouse or child. And last year's court decision to keep family abuse criminal elicited criticism from conservative lawmakers and organizations, including one pol who said the decision was being "anti-family" by dictating how kids could be raised. Supporters of Friday's bill say it will put the onus on those who need it most—repeat offenders—but critics are shaking their heads, the AP reports. "This bill would establish violence as a norm of conduct," one lawmaker said during Friday's debate, per the news agency.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
That's bullshit and you know it. Really Greg, I thought better of you.
Our justice system is in the tank. We put away pot users for 20 to 30 years while our violent criminals suffer probation or less. It's fact. We are allowing three and four offenses for DUI, an appearance ticket for simple assault, and FREE MONEY, FOOD, AND HEALTHCARE for entering the country illegally. But don't take a pill not prescribed for you or else! Our prisons are packed full of people that don;t belong there while we let murders and rapists out early because of over crowding. Disgusting.

livespive

Sorry BB, I would have to agree with Greg on this one. I don't know whose population it might be, but our system is messed for the exact reasons that Greg states.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Sorry BB, I would have to agree with Greg on this one. I don't know whose population it might be, but our system is messed for the exact reasons that Greg states.
It's what happens when burning, looting, cop killing and civil disobedience becomes the daily norm. People become desensitized to the point where smaller, lighter, shorter punishments are accepted.

Robadat

Getting back to the OT, I don't really see any problem with this. This is for first time offenders where there is no significant injury to the victim. I'm all for treating serial offenders or people that cause significant injuries being severely punished, but for the first timer who doesn't injure the spouse or the child, a wrist slap would be appropriate provided the conduct ends. A second offense would and should be cause for more severe punishment.

Our present Criminal Justice system is a bit wacky, to say the least. There are way too many "flavor of the month crimes", where penalties are much too harsh while more serious offenses are overlooked and given very lenient sentences.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
It's what happens when burning, looting, cop killing and civil disobedience becomes the daily norm. People become desensitized to the point where smaller, lighter, shorter punishments are accepted.
... and that, in many respects, reflects liberal "acceptance" of same.

That's bullshit and you know it. Really Greg, I thought better of you.
Gotta agree with what Greg said and what livespice said where livespice said ...Sorry BB, I would have to agree with Greg on this one. I don't know whose population it might be, but our system is messed for the exact reasons that Greg states.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
To be fair to BB, where it's bullshit is to claim it's ALL liberal. Sure, there are those (please excuse the following stereotyping to make a point) "liberal" troublemakers that get away with rioting, looting, etc... but there are "conservatives" that get away with DUI/Vehicular Homicide (see "affluenza boy") and other offenses where money buys freedom.

As pointed out, it's a systemic problem, but I don't agree it's all due specifically to either liberals or conservatives.