School Board Gives Trump Supporter 24 Hrs To Quit

MI2AZ

Buffalo's school board voted 6-2 Thursday to try to get rid of a controversial ninth member—Carl Paladino, co-chair of Donald Trump's New York campaign. The board gave Paladino 24 hours to resign over what it called "unambiguously racist" and "morally repugnant" remarks about the Obamas he made last week, reports the Huffington Post. Paladino, who unsuccessfully ran for governor as a Republican in 2010, told Buffalo weekly ArtVoice that he wanted to see President Obama die of mad cow disease in 2017, and for Michelle Obama to "return to being a male" and live in a cave in Zimbabwe with a gorilla. The board said that if Paladino won't quit, it will petition New York Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia to remove him, the Buffalo News reports.

"Words matter, Mr. Paladino," said School Board President Barbara Seals Nevergold at a raucous meeting Thursday, which Paladino did not attend. "The impact on children of color, especially African-American children is incalculable," she said. "They would like me to tell you, 'You're fired.'" Other board members accused Paladino of racism and other misconduct going back many years. Paladino, who has said he won't step down, issued a statement accusing the board of trying to get rid of him for exposing corruption. Earlier this week, Paladino—whose comments were called "reprehensible" by the Trump transition team—said his words were poorly chosen and claimed he had meant to forward his remarks to friends instead of sending them to ArtVoice, the Wall Street Journal reports.

livespive

So how does that work anyway? Not just here, You have freedom of speech, but if you say something that doesn't agree with/ make the company (or school in this case) look bad, you get canned.

I know most companies have something when you hire in to that effect, but do schools?

Basically saying that you must act professional at all times.

Sooooooo, the school board cares nothing of the 1st A?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
So how does that work anyway? Not just here, You have freedom of speech, but if you say something that doesn't agree with/ make the company (or school in this case) look bad, you get canned.

I know most companies have something when you hire in to that effect, but do schools?

Basically saying that you must act professional at all times.
If the guy was spouting off at students, (even tho the libs do it all the time) I could see a problem. But an email??? Here we go!!!

livespive

Well, but that was like the lady that was mayor or something like that and she made the post on social media and had to quit/ got fired.

Can a school/ company really hold you to something like that. if he was working somewhere else, would the same thing happen?

If the guy was spouting off at students, (even tho the libs do it all the time) I could see a problem. But an email??? Here we go!!!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Well, but that was like the lady that was mayor or something like that and she made the post on social media and had to quit/ got fired.

Can a school/ company really hold you to something like that. if he was working somewhere else, would the same thing happen?
I don't see the connection. The guy has opinions, as do they. Just because he speaks his, there's a problem with his job? Makes no sense to me. If he was publically slandering the school board, school system or faculty I could see a problem. I wasn't aware that an opinion differing from the majority was a bad thing.

MI2AZ

I've read that a lot of companies check out the social media posts of people that apply for jobs with them before deciding to hire them or not. Is it a stretch to think that they check out the posts of their employees as well?

Having an opinion from the majority is a good thing in a lot of cases, but usually not if they are racists, enjoy killing dogs/cats, making bombs and killing innocent people, etc. Any of those a company will probably frown on and consider a bad thing.

Scolai

I nearly lost my job because I posted a picture of Mike Brown (of Ferguson fame) and Maj. Gen. Harold Greene (of killed in action fame) criticizing the leadership of Barack Obama. My bosses took objection to the fact that the pic of Brown I used showed him flipping the bird to the camera. I was suspended from work for a week.

Good times.

livespive

Not that they differ, they make the company look bad.

I don't see the connection. The guy has opinions, as do they. Just because he speaks his, there's a problem with his job? Makes no sense to me. If he was publically slandering the school board, school system or faculty I could see a problem. I wasn't aware that an opinion differing from the majority was a bad thing.