A football coach talks about guns.

bbfreeburn

This is from a radio interview. Mike Leach (Washington State football coach) talks about guns. I think he's spot on.

"I think there’s an incredible number of people who don’t know how guns work to begin with. We need a way to enforce the gun laws that exist now.

Whether it’s a car or boat or motorcycle, it’s a dangerous item, so you have to show a level of competence and get a license before you’re allowed to operate something that’s dangerous. Guns are dangerous but you don’t have to get a license to operate guns. I think in order to operate a gun, you should have a license that means ‘I know the difference between a pistol and a revolver, a shotgun and rifle, I can load and unload one and shoot it with some level of competency at what I’m aiming at.’ And until you can do that, you’re not allowed to operate a gun.

I’ve had players and stuff, they see some video on TV and they go to Walmart and buy a gun. Well they don’t know how to load it, they shoot it sideways. That’s absurd. That’s insane. So because of this failure to teach and educate, there’s accidental shootings.”

Lest you think he’s a gun-hating guy who’s ready to repeal the second amendment, think again. Leach, after all, grew up in Cody, Wyoming. There’s a cowboy side to the Pirate, and he talked also about how he’s been shooting guns since he was 10 years old.

''When I was between 10 to 12 – and this probably isn’t a good idea — my dad would toss me the keys to the gun cabinet and say, ‘Go shoot and practice but I don’t want you to use the .03-06 (big gun) because that goes a long way and I don’t want you to hit the house.’ And I’d go outside and shoot cans and bottles."

Also, Leach keeps a viking axe by his bed.

Yes. You read that right.

"I keep my guns on one part of the house totally locked up, and I keep the ammunition in another part of the house. Because if you think about it carefully, statistically, you’re more likely to shoot yourself, a loved one or a relative. There’s this (absurd) notion of ‘if you come in my house I’ll shoot ya.’ I do have a Viking axe by the bed if I need to whack someone. … My wife bought me a Viking axe – the axe side curls down so you can grab the adversary around the neck and you can use it to climb walls, as a grappling hook.’"

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I think his he3art is in the right place but his head is up his ass. The 2A says nothing about testing or being qualified to own/operate a firearm. The laws we already have infringe upon our 2A rights and what he suggests is making that infringement even deeper. I do agree that education is the key. The ultimate key to gun safety. Children must grow up learning to handle, use and RESPECT weapons, whether they be firearms, knives, swords or even axes. Classes should not only be offered in schools, they should be mandatory. I've stated this a million times that the guns are not the problem, but just a tool for the killer. My loaded guns have been sitting out in the open for years and have yet to shoot anyone on their own. My kids grew up with loaded guns in the house as did my grand kids. No licensing, no permits, nothing special needed except education and respect. My 9 year old, the youngest grandson, can come to my house with my loaded gun sitting right on the table and he will not touch it. If I ask him, he can safely unload and safety check the weapon and hand it to me. STUPID fuckers will own guns and keep them all locked up. If kids are shielded from the weapons they'll learn to fear them OR gain a huge curiosity about them which is much more dangerous than fear. Licensing weapons is far different than licensing a vehicle, which my the way is also illegal but that is for another discussion.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
2A SHOULD BE ALTERED TO ACCOMADATE TODAYS SOCIETY. SOCIETY OBVIOUSLY WONT BEND TO THE 2A. AND G, UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION WITH KIDS AND GRANDKIDS. WHAT HAPPENS IF ONE OF THEM BRINGS A FRIEND OVER WHO IS NOT GUN LITERATE LIKE YOUR FAMINLY? AND THEY GET THEIR HANDS ON ONE OF THE GUNS BEFORE ANYONE CAN SAY NO. AND THEY ARE A RETARD? I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRAIN, EDUCATE AND LICENSE GUN OWNERS. AS FAR AS KNIVES, SWORDS AND EVEN AXES, LETS WORRY ABOUT THOSE WHEN THEY CATCH THE ATTENTION OF THE NEWS SERVICES, AFTER THERE ARE NO MORE GUN ISSUES.

Scolai

A fat lot of good having a gun is going to do you when you need it on a second's notice and you've got it locked in one part of the house with the ammo in another. "Scuse me, Mr. Rapist Burglar Man, but give me a few minutes to get my defensive arsenal ready. K. Thx."

Sounds stupid to me.

I keep my sidearm on from the moment I'm dressed until the moment I get ready for bed. Then the loaded and ready firearm is on my lamp stand overnight. When I'm at work, my wife's got it under control. My kids know that if they touch a firearm without parental consent, they will be severely punished - not that that has EVER happened because... hey... we taught them right. Even my 12-year-old daughter has been shooting the 9mm and the 12ga for a couple of years with instruction from us.

Greg is right - teach them to respect the weapon, and most of your problems go away.