Any of you actually bowling this year?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I won't be unless I get dragged into some open play. Thought I'd ask to see how many still bowl leagues, or how many are like me and don't.

If yer not bowling, why?

For me, it's lack of competitive leagues within close proximity to where I live. My days of fighting traffic for an hour each way to bowl are over. It's sad because I have a total of 72 lanes between 2 locations within 3 miles of my house, but they cater to kids/cosmic bowl/arcade crowd. If they even have leagues, I'm sure they are short, unsanctioned beer/pizza leagues.

Robadat

I'm still bowling in one mixed league and sub in a second mixed league in a different house for some co-workers. Neither league is overly competitive, they're basically nights out for me, even tho I always try to bowl my best.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BOWLING MONDAY NIGHT LATE NIGHT TRIO LEAGUE AT PLANO SUPERBOWL. ONE OF THE MOST COMPETITIVE LEAGUES AROUND NOW. JUST BOWL FALL LEAGUE THOUGH. NO MORE SUMMER LEAGUE. WITH YOU ON THE DRIVE THING THOUGH. IT TAKES ABOUT 20 TO 30 MINUTES TO GET THERE, EVEN AT NIGHT. ALOT OF HIGH END BOWLERS THOUGH.

born1

Been a few years not bowling leagues. Places and time have changed. Still keep in touch with others I bowled with for years. Miss it??? Not Really anymore.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I miss what bowling was closer to the beginning of my "career" than what it was towards the end. But changes in society have dictated this more than the game itself has. Times changed. People changed. (Always have, always will I suppose). Small, intimate bowling alleys closed and big bowling alleys were bought out and converted to "entertainment centers". Long gone are the grease pencils and scoring projectors.

There are times I vividly recall what a great shot feels like - when timing is perfect, the release is smooth and fluid. The ball leaving my hand. I can feel the shot as I visualize my approach, delivery, and watch the ball slide effortlessy across the arrows, spinning, seeking out the break point then making that beautiful turn toward the pocket as it so often did... and in that moment, yes, I miss it.

MI2AZ

I am trying to, but injuries and health issues are effecting my effort. Kinda got chewed out by my team captain the other night because I haven't hit my average yet, but I am the oldest one on the team so that's my excuse. Just wait until he's my age!

MI2AZ

Yeah, and my reply above was directed at the topic, not WAMO's post about orgasming. :)

If you read his post first, and then read mine like it was a reply to it, very embarrassing. :)

Last edited:
Like MI2AZ, health issues are effecting my bowling and I am not bowling at the moment but hope to get back to bowling around November. Dr has limited me to 12# balls however because I just had back surgery 3 weeks ago today for the second time in a bit less than 2 years. Also now back on chemo for the past 7 weeks now for the 3rd time in 3+ years.

bbfreeburn

3 leagues a week and LOTS of pain killers. I have some serious arthritis in my hips and back and need about 4 acetaminophen to get thru a night. Still averaging 210 or so it looks like (only just started league). Summer leagues? not a prayer. Practice? whats that?

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
Yes. Bowling three leagues this year. But its getting harder and harder the older I get. It takes me a few Aleve to get thru it.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yeah, and my reply above was directed at the topic, not WAMO's post about orgasming. :)

If you read his post first, and then read mine like it was a reply to it, very embarrassing. :)
Injuries and health issues can affect that too! :Eek: lol

When I do bowl, it seems like it takes a lot longer to loosen up than it used to. And I'm sore much longer afterwards. I'm slowly discovering that getting older sucks! :Coffee:

MI2AZ

Injuries and health issues can affect that too! :Eek: lol

When I do bowl, it seems like it takes a lot longer to loosen up than it used to. And I'm sore much longer afterwards. I'm slowly discovering that getting older sucks! :Coffee:

Yeah, much longer to loosen up. I used to be able to just throw a couple of frames and ready to go. Now, for the past decade, it takes me a few minutes of stretching and about one game before I feel loose. My first game used to be my best game - not any more. Getting older does suck, but it beats the alternative.

Scolai

I haven't bowled for 4 years. I'm too busy training to be a professional badass in karate and shooting. ;)

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
At least, most of us -- if we opt to do so -- now have more free time for posting (and browsing) on the Internet.

Scolai

At least, most of us -- if we opt to do so -- now have more free time for posting (and browsing) on the Internet.
Not I. I train 3 nights a week after working all day. My best times for posting are weekends and Tuesday nights. Being a badass takes a lot of time. ;)