Anybody optimistic about the next 10 years?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
He's a good impartial read (slightly dated but relevant): http://www.cbpp.org/research/contra...of-entitlement-benefits-go-to?fa=view&id=3677

If we're going to cut here to the elderly and disabled as well as the non-working poor (which, big-picture, statistically is a smaller number that most of us realize) let's cut some defense spending as well. Plenty of room there to make an even bigger fiscally conservative cut.

So, I think that there are plenty of places to look, that can be even MORE effective to trim up on some spending.

But I do understand what your target dislike is. I do and I don't think you're being unfair with your sentiment towards those who will not help themselves.
Not for obvious reasons, but I don't not favor a cut for the elderly or disabled. The disabled are obviously not able and available for work, and the elderly have put their time in and paid their dues to collect retirement. I would not expect the disabled and elderly to supplement their income unless voluntarily.

As far as defense spending goes, that's a slippery slope with all this is happening in the world. We need our military to be all it can be. (no pun intended) I would submit that we stop the gouging. $45,000 toilet seats and $16,000 hammers, etc. need to stop. I would suggest an audit and make our military budget much more efficient, while increasing it's might. I'm also in favor of either making it much more enticing for high school graduates to enter service, or make it a 2 year mandatory program, after which all college would be paid as long as the student maintains a 2.5 GPA.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
NOW YOU TELL ME SOMETHING POSITIVE THAT HAPPENS TO YOU TODAY DAMNIT! :Roflmao:
First, I gotta give props for this, it made me :Laugh:. So :Thumbsup:, and something positive... well, my wife did make me some really good coffee to take to work today. :)

Now, to address Greg's comments. While I agree the tax code is horrendous, and agree we should not penalize the wealthy for being successful, we must also realize they are part of the problem with our shrinking middle class and the increase in the number of unemployed. Who moves production out of the US to save labor $ while THEIR salaries and bonuses keep going up and up and up? Who lobbies the government to relax import taxes (free trade) so they can buy materials/products from other countries (instead of from American workers) to sell here and further boost their profit margins? Who has been taking more and more for the success of the companies they run while giving less and less to those who actually do the work that makes them successful?

Not all poor are simply lazy by choice. I realize (and have known some generational welfare recipients who are), but I do agree wholeheartedly with your stance on assistance. They should have to work (or be looking for work, possibly required to do community service if not working) to receive benefits. But again, there has to be jobs available in the first place.

We've been sold this bill of "trickle down" economics. While true there does need to be capital at the top for development, they cannot hoard it all like they seem to currently be doing. They need to release more into the economy (via jobs and wages) or the house of cards will eventually fall.

MI2AZ

As far as defense spending goes, that's a slippery slope with all this is happening in the world. We need our military to be all it can be. (no pun intended) I would submit that we stop the gouging. $45,000 toilet seats and $16,000 hammers, etc. need to stop. I would suggest an audit and make our military budget much more efficient, while increasing it's might. I'm also in favor of either making it much more enticing for high school graduates to enter service, or make it a 2 year mandatory program, after which all college would be paid as long as the student maintains a 2.5 GPA.
I spent four years active and over 30 plus years working with the military. Believe me when I say that there is waste and more waste and even more.

About those toilet seats and hammers, the govt set up a toll-free phone number to report fraud, waste and abuse in the govt. after those incidents were in the news. We were researching parts to order one day and the soldier I was working with (training), found a part that was way over-priced. He wanted to call the Abuse number (we couldn't talk him out of it) but we civilians told him to be very careful if he did.

He proceeded to make the call and I was sitting next to him listening. He was only on the phone for a couple of minutes before he slammed the handset down. "Well, what happened?" we asked him.

He said that every time he tried to tell them about the part and pricing he had found, they kept asking him for his name and what unit he belonged to, who his supervisor was, etc. He never told them, but tried to tell them about what he had found and they kept asking him for his name so he finally hung up on them. He decided that they were more interested in who he was than what he had found. Important lesson for a young soldier to learn about survival in the military and how the govt treats whistle blowers.

toolguru

Total Tool
Speaking of our government. This next year will be more of the same as Obama wraps up his term, but what about the next administration. Does anyone see a glimmer of hope? All I see, no matter who wins, is at least 4 more years of obstructionism, divisive political smear campaigns, ballooning debt, more lost jobs/wages as companies flock outside our borders for cheaper materials/labor, and increased taxes on those (unwealthy) who are fortunate enough to still have a job.

Are we doomed, or are my pessimist eyes not allowing me to see light at the end of the tunnel?
Can somebody point out what's been great about any admin the last 50-60 years? Go back and read all the lamenting about the budget, debt, our enemies, etc. There is one difference that will make today always seem worse....the mainstream and social media. Nothing gets overlooked, not dug up, not examined/cross examined/, autopsied, etc these days. Back in the 50's and 60's, ignorance was bliss. Now the veil of innocence has been pulled away, the man behind the curtain has been exposed, and everybody knows we ain't in Kansas anymore. It won't ever change until a viable third party that isn't backed by special interests rises up and speaks for and by the people. As far as taxes go, draw three lines on a piece of paper one inch apart. Label the middle one "zero", label .the top one +1000 and label the bottom one - 1000. I can guarantee you that the loss or gain of disposable income after taxes John Q. Public has from year to year, admin to admin, rarely varies outside of that range. Probably it falls between 0 and +1000 most of the time. Lots of promises and formulations are talked by candidates and elected officials for a measly grand.