Cooking an Awesome Steak

Good Times Good Times

I've got 2 pretty awesome cuts of steak at home and I'd like to try something different than what I normally do (a touch of garlic salt and some ground red cayenne pepper). One method I've always done is grilling on high heat 1 side and then turning the heat down and flipping it. So............in this thread give me some solid tips on how YOU like to prep an awesome steak.....

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
3/4" RIBEYE. I MARINADE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. GAS GRILL. 600 EACH SIDE FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES EACH. TURN HEAT DOWN TO ABOUT 400 FOR 4 TO 5 MINUTES, BUT I TURN THE STEAK A FEW TIMES. I LIKE RED CENTER. ENJOY GT. BUT THANX. NOW I WANT STEAK FOR DINNER. YUMMY!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I like a little Montreal steak seasoning. Can be found pretty much anywhere, brand to brand it all seems pretty similar.

I don't like to do beef on the gas grill, I only charcoal or smoke it. Typicall I put them direct heat for 2 minutes each side, then move to indirect for about 4 mins each side. Times vary a little (maybe add or subtract a minute here and there) depending on how thick the cut is and how hot I get the fire. Typically this gets me somewhere around medium doneness - more med/well on thinner cuts, med/rare on thicker cuts. But the 2-2-4-4 is my baseline.

I also like to use a handful of mesquite chips sometimes for a little smoke. But not always. This generally cools the fire a bit (chips are soaked and damp when put on coals) so I don't have to move them as far off the heat after searing.