Early candidate for DBOW

radioactive

George Zimmerman is selling the gun he used to shoot Trayvon Martin. Starting Bids at $5,000.00

George Zimmerman is auctioning off the firearm he used to kill 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida four years ago and is starting the bidding Thursday for this "piece of history" at $5,000.

In a listing on the website gunbroker.com, Zimmerman writes that he is "honored and humbled" to announce the sale of the Kel-Tec PF-9mm firearm. Similar firearms normally sell on the site for around $200.

"The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin on 2/26/2012," he writes.

By mid-morning Thursday, hours before the 24-hour auction was to begin, the listing had been viewed more than 150,000 times.

Zimmerman, 32, notes that the Justice Department returned the weapon to him recently and it still bears the case number written on it in silver permanent marker.

He told a news station,It's time to move past the firearm, and if I sell it and it sells, then I move past it.Video provided by Newsy Newslook

"This is a piece of American History," he writes in the listing. "It has been featured in several publications and in current University text books."

Zimmerman, then a neighborhood watch volunteer, shot and killed Trayvon in February, 2012, in a confrontation as the unarmed teenager was heading back to a relative's house in Sanford, Fla., after buying snacks at a convenience store.

A jury found Zimmerman, who alleged that Martin was trying to bash his head on the pavement during a struggle, not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Tracy Martin, Trayvon's father, issued a statement Thursday through his lawyer, Benjamin Trump, saying a foundation in his son's name is focusing on ending senseless gun violence and "has no comment on the actions of that person that murdered Trayvon."

In his listing, Zimmerman says he has turned down several offers for the notorious firearm because the buyers planned to use it "in a fashion I did not feel comfortable with."

He claimed in his auction listing that the "Smithsonian Museum" in Washington, D.C., had expressed interest in buying the firearm, however, the Smithsonian Institution said Thursday on Twitter that, "We have never expressed interest in collecting George Zimmerman’s firearm, and have no plans to ever collect or display it in any museums."

Instead, Zimmerman says he plans to use the proceeds from the sale of the gun — which he calls an "American Firearm Icon" — to fight "Black Lives Matter" violence against law enforcement officers and to counter "Hillary Clinton's anti-firearm rhetoric."

In a conversation with Fox35 in Orlando, Zimmerman says if he doesn't sell the firearm, it will go in a safe and "never be used or seen again."

Zimmerman, who has had several run-ins with the law since the Martin shooting, including domestic abuse charges and an alleged road rage incident, tells Fox35 that he has had death threats while in hiding and that it is "time to move past the firearm."

"What I have decided to do is not cower," he tells the TV station. "I'm a free American. I can do what I want with my possessions."

radioactive

Yes he has the right to sell it, but asking that much and saying its an "Iconic American Firearm" is the height of dickishness.

I mean damn dude you got aquited, get and say out of the public eye. I predict that one day he will be found dead.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yes he has the right to sell it, but asking that much and saying its an "Iconic American Firearm" is the height of dickishness.
I will agree with you... IF nobody takes him up on the offer! However, if he gets his asking price or more, then it will appear George simply knew the market was there and made a wise business decision to sell while demand was high.

If nobody bids, then he's just being a dick.

My guess is that JLS has emptied his savings account and will be placing a bid shortly to help his 'ol buddy Zim out! ;)