EpiPen Raises Prices, Gives Execs Huge Raises

MI2AZ

Makers of the EpiPen gave themselves fat raises as they were jacking up the cost of the life-saving device, NBC News reports. Mylan CEO Heather Bresch saw her salary leap to $18.9 million from $2.4 million—a 671% increase—from 2007 to 2015. That was same period during which Mylan, after acquiring EpiPen, began steadily raising its price by 500%. Bresch wasn’t alone. President Rajiv Malik's base pay jumped 11.1% to $1 million and Chief Commercial Officer Anthony Mauro’s rose 13.6% to $625,000, NBC reports, citing proxy filings. News of EpiPen’s price hike has outraged consumers and doctors, and senators including Chuck Grassley and Amy Klobuchar are demanding investigations, reports the Washington Post. Bresch is the daughter of another senator, Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

A company spokesman didn't respond to NBC's requests for comment, but officials have previously said Mylan put a “significant investment” into EpiPen after acquiring it.
After nearly dropping the old device, they instead launched a marketing and lobbying strategy credited with making the marker-sized stick a staple in US schools and household medicine cabinets. The device delivers a stab of epinephrine to the thigh that halts allergic reactions to such things as peanuts and insect bites. Federal legislation in 2013 requiring schools to stock epinephrine devices also helped make EpiPen a $1 billion-a-year product. It now accounts for 40% of Mylan’s profits, Bloomberg reports. Since the FDA in 2010 recommended that EpiPens come in packs of two instead of one, the cost of a double pack has exploded to as much as $600 from $100.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
What's this? Federal regulation requires it, and the CEO is a Senator's daughter? Hmmm....

But, they're Democrats, so nothing will be done.

Good Times Good Times

One comment nailed it:

"This is what you get with a free and uncontrolled healthcare market.
You get more and more companies with boards like Turing and more CEO's like Shkreli."

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
One comment nailed it:

"This is what you get with a free and uncontrolled healthcare market.
You get more and more companies with boards like Turing and more CEO's like Shkreli."
A free and uncontrolled health care market that has infiltrated and/or bought the government to pass legislation requiring people to buy their products!

Robadat

Bingo! Buy the useless product or pay fine.
Epi-pens aren't useless. They save the lives of people who have severe allergic reactions. That being said, these things could be sold at $10 a pop and the company would still be turning a profit on each one. This is far from a new designer drug that cost a $billion in research to create, epinephrine has been in use for over 100 years, an epi-pen is just a relatively new way to dispense it. Something ain't right...

Djarum300

Addicted Member
My understanding with the company I now work for that the insurance (express scripts) doesn't cover it because it is not a maintenance nor preventative drug. 599 with insurance. I think that's basically full price.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Epi-pens aren't useless. They save the lives of people who have severe allergic reactions. That being said, these things could be sold at $10 a pop and the company would still be turning a profit on each one. This is far from a new designer drug that cost a $billion in research to create, epinephrine has been in use for over 100 years, an epi-pen is just a relatively new way to dispense it. Something ain't right...
Do we know what their margins are? Do we know the cost of r and d?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Not what I meant. was speaking about Bam Bam care. I actually need an epi-pen but have been refusing to buy one for 30 years because the cheapest they've ever been in $85.00, and they expire every year. They could easily make huge money on volume if they charged 10 bux, since they probably cost pennies to manufacture.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Not what I meant. was speaking about Bam Bam care. I actually need an epi-pen but have been refusing to buy one for 30 years because the cheapest they've ever been in $85.00, and they expire every year. They could easily make huge money on volume if they charged 10 bux, since they probably cost pennies to manufacture.
Again, do we know this for fact? Playing devil's advocate here, I remember Republicans defending big oil for low margins. Do we know what their margins are? Do we know the cost of r and d.

We, as a society bitch and moan about health care costs, but sure as shit will buy lots of other crap at insane margins and we don't bat an eye.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
The info you seek is readily available. IIRC, oil companies net about 3 cents on a gallon of motion lotion as opposed to the government which takes about 21 cents.

livespive

The big problem is, if you are going into healthcare, you should be going into it to save lives, not make money.
Once you make your R&D back there should be a fixed markup.

Again, do we know this for fact? Playing devil's advocate here, I remember Republicans defending big oil for low margins. Do we know what their margins are? Do we know the cost of r and d.

We, as a society bitch and moan about health care costs, but sure as shit will buy lots of other crap at insane margins and we don't bat an eye.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Last quarter Milan brought in 2.8 billion. Cost of sales was about half. R and d plus operating costs was another half. At the end of the day they netted 170 million dollars.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
The big problem is, if you are going into healthcare, you should be going into it to save lives, not make money.
Once you make your R&D back there should be a fixed markup.
Good luck with that. If the company has investors, they could give a rat's ass about if it's health care or some other industry. Then what, make all phamas government run? That would be even worse.

livespive

Never seen anyone quote himself, you must need some of these meds :p;)

But on your point, the margin should be capped once the R and D is paid for. That would include paying off the initial investors.
everyone would still get money, but it would be at that capped margin.

Which is only a 8 percent net profit margin.

livespive

I know what you mean, but they should have to follow rule like everyone else. If you are a company that has the market cornered, you don't charge sky high prices, you get money anyway.

Good luck with that. If the company has investors, they could give a rat's ass about if it's health care or some other industry. Then what, make all phamas government run? That would be even worse.