Fantastic Tweets

livespive

It doesn't take a many "hands on" to make the robot as it does to make the car.

But how many people are employed because that robot was manufactured? From the circuit designers, metal workers, electronics engineers, assemblers, and it even trickles down further than that.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HOPE YOUR RIGHT ABOUT TURNING THINGS AROUND G, BUT AS LONG AS MONEY IS AT THE ROOT OF IT ALL, I THINK WE ARE SCREWED. (I MISS JLS)

Good Times Good Times

I just find it fascinating as a discussion. I think everyone has brought some good points and a good POV. Technology is increasing and the demand for labor (like manufacturing) is down, though it will ALWAYS be required, the manner in which is evolving. As older industries die new ones emerge on a new front.....I just look at the "post job" world as different, "job" as we know it is an evolving term.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I just find it fascinating as a discussion. I think everyone has brought some good points and a good POV. Technology is increasing and the demand for labor (like manufacturing) is down, though it will ALWAYS be required, the manner in which is evolving. As older industries die new ones emerge on a new front.....I just look at the "post job" world as different, "job" as we know it is an evolving term.
You're looking at it technologically. So, yes, digging ditches may be obsolete, but creating the machine to dig those ditches will take people.

livespive

Yeah but it doesn't take as many;

Once your design team of say 10 designs The Ditch Digger 2016, They are no longer needed. In my field the either get laid off or they were contract engineers.

The factory that makes The Ditch Digger 2016 Has robotic maneuvering are, a robotic weld line etc.
You have a staff of 5 guys that know (P)rogrammable (L)ogic (C)ontrolers, and other variouse controls.
A staff of 5 for mechanical issues.
and 1 or 2 facility engineers.

Anything else is has outside help called in.

That's it for the factory. Now this same factory had maybe 20-50 people work assembly
10-20 welders. 10 inspectors, plus the crew above.

40- 80 people just lost their jobs because of the robots.

You're looking at it technologically. So, yes, digging ditches may be obsolete, but creating the machine to dig those ditches will take people.