Florida campaigning: millions spent, but nothing but negative ads

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Here in Florida, it's getting close to the significant primary election cycle that concludes on March 15, so obviously, it's to be expected that there's a lot of campaigning and a lot of campaign spending. But what sort of campaign ads are being offered to Floridians?

The ONLY positive campaign ads -- and they are a very small percentage of the overall number -- are some radio/TV ads on behalf of Donald Trump that promote his "Make America Great Again" theme. And those pro-Trump ads don't mention and/or attack Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz in any way.

On the other hand, millions and millions of dollars are being spent on anti-Trump advertising (via mail, radio, TV, Internet and newspapers), and those ads are nothing but negative. Those anti-Trump ads push "information" about Trump University, eminent domain, David Duke, etc., but none of them mention any significant issues and none provide any information as to why we should support and vote for Rubio, Cruz or Kasich.

Except for the positive Trump ads, we're seeing a new low in negative campaigning ... and if it were to somehow work (and result in Trump's defeat in Florida), it will send a message nationwide that the only way to win is by negative ads and campaigning. And is that in the best interest of America going forward?

Robadat

Negative campaign ads have been by far the most used method for quite a while now during elections/primaries. Positive, self promoting ads don't work because they all promise you pretty much the same BS that we know they can't or won't keep.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
If asked, virtually everyone will SAY that they don't like negative campaigning, but isn't that actually the most-successful method of campaigning?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
If asked, virtually everyone will SAY that they don't like negative campaigning, but isn't that actually the most-successful method of campaigning?
Honestly, I don't recall anything other than negative campaigning, so I don't know. Problem is, media won't report anything positive, or if they do it's only in passing. But they'll harp the hell out of negativity.

Hmmm... perhaps I should have chosen a career in the media? lol ;)

MI2AZ

That's a shame as Trump has always had nothing but positive things to say about Mexicans, immigrants, Muslims, women, and the current president.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Honestly, I don't recall anything other than negative campaigning, so I don't know. Problem is, media won't report anything positive, or if they do it's only in passing. But they'll harp the hell out of negativity.

Hmmm... perhaps I should have chosen a career in the media? lol ;)
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I did choose a career in the media, but I certainly have never been a "typical" journalist. Throughout my career, I was always surrounded by at least 80% of co-workers who had a liberal persuasion. However, although I've written newspaper editorials, most of my writings were of a non-political nature -- including columns on travel, music, arts, religion and a number of sports, especially bowling.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Dear 9andaWiggle:

I did choose a career in the media, but I certainly have never been a "typical" journalist. Throughout my career, I was always surrounded by at least 80% of co-workers who had a liberal persuasion. However, although I've written newspaper editorials, most of my writings were of a non-political nature -- including columns on travel, music, arts, religion and a number of sports, especially bowling.
Gotta give you credit here... most of your professional articles (that I've read) are positive in tone.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I got at least one anti-Trump ad in the mail for two straight weeks before the primary -- not to mention the anti-Trump ads that flooded TV in Florida -- but there was certainly a lot of wasted money, and the ads probably helped Trump by a few points when it came to the voting.