For that those with firearms

livespive

What are your goto brands:

Handgun

Long gun

Shotgun

Special gun

Thinking about a shotgun, and maybe something else.

Scolai

So which Armalite do you have?
Technically, ours aren't Armalite by name, just by design. Both of them are custom-made items. Since most (if not all) rifles in that genre are classified as an AR, it's easier to just describe ours as Armalite.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
So many folks have been misled by propaganda that AR stands for "Assault Rife" which is incorrect. AR is an abbreviation for "Armalite Rifle."

livespive

Very true. I was wondering what brand folks preferred.

I was also wondering if custom made is as cracked up as it is.

Is it better to have someone build it?
Is it better to get the parts and do it yourself?

Very interested.

So many folks have been misled by propaganda that AR stands for "Assault Rife" which is incorrect. AR is an abbreviation for "Armalite Rifle."

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member

Very interested.
I can't answer thise questions, as I'm not fanatical about guns. I enjoy shooting occasionally, and am comfortable around/usimg them, but I don't study them religiously.

For me, who makes it is not important (meaning custom build or I do it myself). If the piece is quality and dependable, that is what I would prioritize. I mean, it's a tool. If it feels good in your hand (comfortable/easy to use), always works, hits what you're aiming at and kills it when it hits, then it has done its job.

I dunno... sometimes I think people overthink guns. But then, if I hadn't been a serious bowler at one time, I'd likely think the same about bowling balls. If it's round, fits my hand, and knocks the pins down... :Laugh:

livespive

So what quality tool do you like?

I am basically looking for input from different people so that I can do research.

I am getting ready to get a shotgun and a long gun.
I have some calibers in mind already but looking for a good “tool” :p;)

I can't answer thise questions, as I'm not fanatical about guns. I enjoy shooting occasionally, and am comfortable around/usimg them, but I don't study them religiously.

For me, who makes it is not important (meaning custom build or I do it myself). If the piece is quality and dependable, that is what I would prioritize. I mean, it's a tool. If it feels good in your hand (comfortable/easy to use), always works, hits what you're aiming at and kills it when it hits, then it has done its job.

I dunno... sometimes I think people overthink guns. But then, if I hadn't been a serious bowler at one time, I'd likely think the same about bowling balls. If it's round, fits my hand, and knocks the pins down... :Laugh:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Shotguns, I can't tell you. I have one, an old side by side double barrel my grandfather bought. Not sure its age (or horribly, even the model). Was told it was not an expensive gun to begin with - to my knowledge, nobody in my family has ever had money. No "lucky sperm club" for me. :Frown:

Also inherited an old bolt action .22 that I think is a Remington. Last time I shot either of them was in high school... about 25 years ago.

Pistols, I've really liked the Springfield XD45 a friend let me shoot. And the S&W M&P9. Am intrigued by the Beretta 92 and M9A models, but haven't found one locally to try out. I will say, I prefer semi-auto to revolvers.

I've also got a PSE Nova compound bow I've had for 20+ years. :Laugh:

REVerse °

Addicted Member

Very interested.
You can go basic purchase and build on a platform. Mine was built for a left handed shooter. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=88 I can shoot L or R, but prefer L on rifle and shotgun. Prefer R with a pistol. I ended up with a RRA AR, but that was an impulse purchase. The ENTIRE rifle is built for a left handed shooter. The barrel twist is LH as well! So, I guess you could call it somewhat "custom." The trigger is very light and has Magpul flip up sight on front and match grade A2 handle with windage adjustment... Quality stuff, but not really necessary. A basic AR-15 (.223) is just fine. If you are interested in a darn good AR- I think S&W M&P series has a great reputation with quality at a fair price. Custom builds are for competition shooters, so stick with a factory built weapon. If you want something that is slightly above average go with the M&P 15 TS. You won't need to add anything besides a bipod.

Scolai

We have both - a custom-built AR platform and one we built at home. Both fucking ruin whatever we shoot with them, so... take that for what you will. :Thumbsup: