Good ole Kentucky

Good Times Good Times

Ever since the SCOTUS ruling, marriage licenses have been issued in all of this great nation's counties. Except for Rowan County, in eastern Kentucky. The county clerk there, one Kim Davis, has refused to issue any marriage licenses (same sex or opposite sex). She was immediately sued and immediately lost in federal district court. She appealed and asked the federal circuit court and then the SCOTUS for a stay. The stay request was strongly denied by the circuit court last week and then denied (without comment) by the full SCOTUS yesterday.

So in summary, as of today, she has orders from the District Court, Circuit Court, and Supreme Court to issue marriage licenses to all qualified applicants, including same sex couples.

Naturally, a same sex couple went to her office today to apply for a license, and they were trailing a horde of media. (SEE THE LINK ABOVE) wherein she refuses "on God's authority" to do her job and follow the law.

She should be removed from office, obviously, but only the state legislature has that authority, and they'll never do it. (They're not in session at the moment, but that's beside the point.) In light of that, she should be arrested by the feds, but that's probably not going to happen, either.

MY QUESTION: How does her position compare to: "Hi Guys, I wanna be an Army Ranger, but it's against my deeply held religious beliefs to kill people. Yes, even the bad ones, love your enemies and all that. I should still be able to be employed as a Ranger, right?"

MI2AZ

That Ranger would end up getting him/herself and probably others killed in combat. Best thing would be to send him/her on a solitary mission. Problem solved.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I disagree about sending her to prison over this, but she should be removed from her position for not fulfilling her duties.

If a BBQ joint hired a muslim, would you arrest him for refusing to sell BBQ because he objected to selling pork ribs, or would you just fire him? Especially if you didn't even sell pork ribs at the time he was originally hired.

livespive

I'd put him on the Brisket station :p:D;)

I disagree about sending her to prison over this, but she should be removed from her position for not fulfilling her duties.

If a BBQ joint hired a muslim, would you arrest him for refusing to sell BBQ because he objected to selling pork ribs, or would you just fire him? Especially if you didn't even sell pork ribs at the time he was originally hired.

Good Times Good Times

30A.020 Oath of clerk and deputies.
Every clerk and deputy, in addition to the oath prescribed by Section 228 of the Constitution, shall, before entering on the duties of his office, take the following oath in presence of the Circuit Court: "I, ....., do swear that I will well and truly discharge the
duties of the office of .............. County Circuit Court clerk, according to the best of my skill and judgment, making the due entries and records of all orders, judgments, decrees, opinions and proceedings of the court, and carefully filing and preserving in my office all books and papers which come to my possession by virtue of my office; and that I will not knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the duties of my office without favor, affection or partiality, so help me God." The fact that the oath has been administered shall be entered on the record of the Circuit Court.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Why have the words "So help me God" in the oath if you're going to require people (by law) to do things that can - and often are -interpreted to go against God's word? Hmmm...

Good Times Good Times

Why have the words "So help me God" in the oath if you're going to require people (by law) to do things that can - and often are -interpreted to go against God's word? Hmmm...
Tradition? Surely you see my point though 9~, when we get into semantics like this she's obv wrong. You would agree she's not doing her job, and as a woman divorced 3x, you'd see my point?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
And I still don't think jail is appropriate here. Just fire her and hire someone else who will do the job - as should have already been done. Enough taxpayer $ and court time has been wasted on this case. Derelection of duty, termination of employment, case closed, move on.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
She's clearly taken an oath saying she will make due the records of all opinions of the court.
No argument there. The problem is, the courts changed her duties to conflict with religious beliefs she held prior to the changes. IMO it is not right to force someone to do something that goes against their beliefs. Common sense would allow governments to re-allocate duties for those who object, and rehire (or re-allocate duties to) people willing to perform the position as required of the new laws. If they refused new duties to keep the position held and still refused to perform...

I mean, c'mon, Donald Trump would get this right... YOU'RE FIRED!! :Biggrin:

Good Times Good Times

I just find it hilarious that she has logic so poor that she thinks issuing a license on behalf of the STATE is a personal endorsement, and didn't resign as soon as the opinion was handed down by the SC. She continued to collect her 80k per year salary and failing to perform duties.

What is a certainty is she SWORE BEFORE GOD that she would uphold the laws of MAN. So how does God get pushed aside and then claimed in the same breath?

What do you think about fines? I agree, I wouldn't want jail.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I just find it hilarious that she has logic so poor that she thinks issuing a license on behalf of the STATE is a personal endorsement, and didn't resign as soon as the opinion was handed down by the SC. She continued to collect her 80k per year salary and failing to perform duties.

What is a certainty is she SWORE BEFORE GOD that she would uphold the laws of MAN. So how does God get pushed aside and then claimed in the same breath?

What do you think about fines? I agree, I wouldn't want jail.
My guess is she thought man's laws were in accordance with God's laws at the time she took the job. Or maybe she's just a hypocrit.

For someone like this, I imagine losing an $80k/yr + benefits job would be punishment enough. As a clerk, she likely won't find that level of compensation in the private sector for clerical duties.

MI2AZ

I think she should have to forfeit all pay and benefits from the time she first refused to do her job.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
LOOPHOLE; "BEST OF MY SKILL AND JUDGEMENT". THATS KIND OF LEFT OPEN FOR MANY DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS ISNT IT?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I just reread this, and I think GTGT and I just had an argument while basically agreeing with each other?! :confused: LMAO! :Roflmao::Biggrin: