Iowa caucuses: STUPID, STUPID, STUPID

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
First of all, I repeat two of my oft-stated opinions ...

(1) NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF THE AMERICAN VOTERS.

(2) NEVER AGAIN WILL A U.S. PRESIDENT BE ELECTED UNDER THE REPUBLICAN BANNER.

As to Opinion No. 1 ... IOWA VOTERS ARE COLLECTIVELY STUPID.

* First of all, rarely do Iowa caucus winners emerge with the presidency, but the media keeps touting the caucuses as all-important, though they are far from truly significant. * Popular Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, a Republican, vehemently opposed Cruz' candidacy, and he urged Iowans to refrain from voting for the Texas Senator, but the voters obviously paid little attention. * In roughly the same time frame, Iowa voters elected Republican Chuck Grassley to six terms while electing Democrat Tom Harkin to five terms. THAT MAKES NO SENSE, because conservative Grassley and liberal Harkin rarely saw eye to eye on significant issues. * Iowa voters made Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum their top choices in 2008 and 2012, yet the fickle, inconsistent Hawkeye State voters almost totally ignored them this time around, as those two got only 2.8 percent of the votes COMBINED. * And Iowa voters are WISHY-WASHY to the max, because so many of them can't seem to make up their mind until they make last-minute, hasty decisions.

As for the entire caucus (and media circus) process ...

* Ridiculously, in a half-dozen precincts, COIN FLIPS were used to decide whether Hillary or Bernie obtained convention delegates. And Hillary defied 63-to-1 odds to win every one of the flips.

* The Iowa caucus system ensures that a FAR SMALLER PERCENTAGE of people take part in the primary process as compared to other states. Those who are sick or have to take care of children are "shut out" of the voting, and there is no such thing as an absentee ballot.

* The Des Moines Register poll -- and ALL OTHERS, for that matter -- didn't come close to the actual results. For instance, in the Register poll, Trump was forecast to beat Cruz by 5 but he lost by 4, and Trump was forecast to finish 13 ahead of Rubio but the margin was only 1. And Rubio got 23 percent as compared to the 15 percent given to him in the polls. AND THE POLL'S MARGIN OF ERROR WAS 4. Yet, the media kept force-feeding everyone the poll information. A LOSE-LOSE for all concerned.

* The media commentators kept telling everyone that a large turnout would benefit Trump. But there were more GOP caucus-goers than at any time in history, and it hardly benefited Trump. SO MUCH FOR EXPERT COMMENTARY.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
The thing that gets me is the fucking coin flip. Are you kidding me. Those should be recounted or not counted at all.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The thing that gets me is the fucking coin flip. Are you kidding me. Those should be recounted or not counted at all.
... and what are the chances of winning EVERY coin flip? By statistical probability, the same thing wouldn't occur in Iowa until the year 2272.