Kids, Ages 6-11, Arrested For Not Stopping Fight At School

MI2AZ

Police handcuffed multiple students, ages 6 to 11, at a public elementary school in Murfreesboro on Friday, inspiring public outcry and adding fuel to already heightened tensions between law enforcement and communities of color nationwide. The students were arrested, accused of not stopping a fight that happened earlier off-campus.

Parents and community members sharply criticized the arrests of the students at a church meeting Sunday. The Murfreesboro police chief on Sunday cited the incident as a learning experience, a chance to "make things better so they don't happen again." The city manager said Sunday: "If something needs to be corrected, it will be."

It remains unclear exactly how many children were arrested. State law prohibits the release of juvenile law enforcement records, and police have denied a media request for the information. Murfreesboro police didn't say what state law the kids violated, but parents of several of the arrested children say the kids were charged with "criminal responsibility for conduct of another," which according to Tennessee criminal offense code includes incidents when a "person fails to make a reasonable effort to prevent" an offense.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHY ARENT THEY OUTRAGED THAT KIDS 6 - 11 WERE FIGHTING TO BEGIN WITH. NICE PARENTING SKILLS.

livespive

But from the article, the kids that were cuffed were not fighting?????

I would agree with you if they would have cuffed just the fighting kids, and everyone got upset.......

Cuffing the other kids was just a chicken head move. One again showing that if you give someone power that doesn't need it there are going to be problems. The cops could have put all of the kids in the gym and called the parents, there were better ways.

WHY ARENT THEY OUTRAGED THAT KIDS 6 - 11 WERE FIGHTING TO BEGIN WITH. NICE PARENTING SKILLS.

Robadat

WTF???
Arrested for not breaking up a fight? That's assinine. People should not be forced under threat of law to do the Police's job of maintaining order. That's just not right, is this some law in Tennessee that says you must do this? I just can't understand why a civilian (or in this case, minors) should be made to place their own safety in jeopardy.

Good Times Good Times

http://www.dnj.com/story/news/2016/04/19/murfreesboro-police-chief-comments-kids-arrests/83242404/

Looks like the Chief is going to review it. Obv the charges will be dropped b/c they're, well, retarded.........but nevertheless here we are. I don't know how an officer with any experience did this. There has to be something more to the story in that area or something. Perhaps the arresting officer made some type of rash decision or mistake? I've never even heard of the type of charge in the OP.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
MY POINT WAS, IT WAS A CHURCH MEETING. POLICE MAY HAVE OVEREACTED. BUT WHY WAS THERE A FIGHT AT A CHURCH MEETING. OBVIOUS TENSIONS IN THE COMMUNITY. MAYBE ALL THE OFFICERS FELT LIKE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AT THE TIME. MAYBE THE BYSTANDERS WERE ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE TO KEEP THE FIGHT GOING. THATS WHAT 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS DO. BAD CALL ON HOW THEY PHRASED THE ARREST. BUT THERE WAS MORE THAN ONE POLICE, SO FOR THE MOST PART, NONE DISAGREED WITH THE COLLAR.

livespive

Unless the bystanders pushed them back into the fight, they should not have been cuffed. By that logic if you are in a bar and a fight breaks out, you can get arrested for not trying to stop it?????!!!

MY POINT WAS, IT WAS A CHURCH MEETING. POLICE MAY HAVE OVEREACTED. BUT WHY WAS THERE A FIGHT AT A CHURCH MEETING. OBVIOUS TENSIONS IN THE COMMUNITY. MAYBE ALL THE OFFICERS FELT LIKE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AT THE TIME. MAYBE THE BYSTANDERS WERE ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE TO KEEP THE FIGHT GOING. THATS WHAT 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS DO. BAD CALL ON HOW THEY PHRASED THE ARREST. BUT THERE WAS MORE THAN ONE POLICE, SO FOR THE MOST PART, NONE DISAGREED WITH THE COLLAR.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Unless the bystanders pushed them back into the fight, they should not have been cuffed. By that logic if you are in a bar and a fight breaks out, you can get arrested for not trying to stop it?????!!!
The only thing I'm trying to stop is them from spilling my new pitcher of beer in the scuffle! They spill my beer, then I get mad and whip ALL their Candy Asses!! :mad:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
NO SIR. 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS AT A CHURCH MEETING, (NOT A BAR) FIGHT BREAKS OUT, WHY? AND AS I SAID, BAD CALL ON THE REASON FOR THE ARREST, BUT MAYBE THE ARREST WAS NEEDED TO COOL DOWN THE SITUATION. AND I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A CHURCH MEETING FOR 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS AND THERE WAS NO ADULT SUPERVISION. BAD PARENTING AND CHILD MANAGEMENT SKILLS. NO WONDER THEY WERE FIGHTING.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
NO SIR. 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS AT A CHURCH MEETING, (NOT A BAR) FIGHT BREAKS OUT, WHY? AND AS I SAID, BAD CALL ON THE REASON FOR THE ARREST, BUT MAYBE THE ARREST WAS NEEDED TO COOL DOWN THE SITUATION. AND I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A CHURCH MEETING FOR 6 TO 11 YEAR OLDS AND THERE WAS NO ADULT SUPERVISION. BAD PARENTING AND CHILD MANAGEMENT SKILLS. NO WONDER THEY WERE FIGHTING.
It was all part of God's Master Plan. You can't blame them when their actions have been created and ordered by God himself.

Robadat

This I agree with, IF these kids, in any way, actively prevented either or both of the fighters from leaving the scene after they had enough, then you could possibly charge them with something. I would have to see the video of the fight and what the bystanders were actually doing to prolong the fight before I would say they should have been charged with anything.

I also believe that they should not have been arrested at a School after the fact. The police should have gone to each of their home addresses to make any warranted arrests.

MI2AZ

Where do you see that it was at a church meeting? I understood from the article that people at a church meeting were upset that the kids had been arrested for not stopping a fight that had happened off campus of the school. From the article:

"The students were arrested, accused of not stopping a fight that happened earlier off-campus and later released..."

livespive

True, I also thought I had missed something. Also, the bar comment was to show the big gap in this law if it does exist.. Anyone standing anywhere if a fight breaks out could be arrested according to this.

Where do you see that it was at a church meeting? I understood from the article that people at a church meeting were upset that the kids had been arrested for not stopping a fight that had happened off campus of the school. From the article:

"The students were arrested, accused of not stopping a fight that happened earlier off-campus and later released..."

MI2AZ

Yeah, what happens if weapons are brought out? Are you supposed to wade in and try to take the weapons away? Besides, if some of the kids watching were as young as 6, if the kids fighting were older, they would have been bigger and stronger too. Big difference between a 6 yr old and an 11 yr old. Stupid law.