Let's talk about jeans...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I need to buy some new jeans, but have not been happy with the last few pairs of Levi's (550 series) due to what I feel is premature wear-out of the material. They just don't seem to last as long as they used to. And price is up to almost $40/pair, which is too much just for plain ol' denim jeans. IMO.

So, what do you guys wear/like?

Here is a little reward for your participation...

Good Times Good Times

I personally have always found Old Navy jeans the most comfortable. I wear the loose style (but they're not "baggy" by any means). Pretty standard jeans.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I need to buy some new jeans, but have not been happy with the last few pairs of Levi's (550 series) due to what I feel is premature wear-out of the material. They just don't seem to last as long as they used to. And price is up to almost $40/pair, which is too much just for plain ol' denim jeans. IMO.

So, what do you guys wear/like?

Here is a little reward for your participation...

Try pulling you dick OUT of your pants before stroking it.

MI2AZ

I used to like 505s, but lately where I live, they are difficult to find (decided to use the word 'difficult' instead of 'hard' because of someone's earlier post above, LOL).

Do they pre-wash the 550s numerous times to get the faded blue instead of the much darker blue of the 505s? If so, that could be why you don't get as much wear out of them.

I remember reading an article by the president or some exec of Levi's saying that he doesn't wash his jeans.

GOOGLE SEARCHING ... ... ... ... FOUND IT HERE:

Laundry is inevitable, but thankfully there are people like Levi’s CEO and President Chip Bergh who want to make our lives a little easier.

According to him, you should never wash a pair of jeans. Ever.

While this may prompt noises of disgust from those are less-then-enamoured by the idea of walking around in dirty clothes, Mr Bergh explained that he "spot cleans" any stains with a toothbrush.

Speaking to Fortune in a video that was recently re-shared on social media he said: "The point I was trying to make… it was a wake-up call to consumers that we go into autopilot and after we’re finished wearing something, we just automatically toss it into the laundry.

"A good pair of denim doesn’t really need to be washed in the washing machine except for very infrequently or rarely."

His argument is based around the fact that washing a good pair of Levis actually causes damage to the material, and is a waste of water.

Mr Bergh isn’t the only denim expert to come out with this advice. Hiut Denim’s website says: "Raw denim is best given a good six months before washing. The longer you can leave it, the better your jeans will look.

"The reason for this is that the indigo will have worn off in places where you make natural creases. Just by sitting down, putting your phone in and out of your pockets, your hands in your pockets. All these daily little things will make your jeans look great.

"When it comes to the big day, the indigo will fade where you made those little creases to reveal the contrasts that give it the well worn look. If you wash your jeans too early, the indigo will wash off uniformly so it will give it an even, dark indigo cover which means the magic will have gone.

"Like anything in life, there are no short cuts.”

Last year, Tommy Hilfiger also revealed that he 'never' washes his jeans - his favorite brand being Levi Strauss over his own eponymous label.

The 63-year-old told a TMZ reporter: 'I never wash my Levi's. They'll fall apart. I love them broken in.'

And TV anchor Anderson Cooper told how he wears the same jeans every day, washing them on average only four times a year.

Meanwhile Nudie Jeans offers this stellar piece of wisdom: “When you’ve come this far, you and your new stiff drys will have gone from being separate entities to a unity – a second skin.

"Compared to a new pair of dry jeans, the smell of a well-worn pair just before wash is a completely different matter.

"It's a smell that could most probably raise the dead. But it's most definitely the smell of a winner."

Advice from several major jeans manufacturers is to instead try putting your pair in the freezer overnight to help get rid of bacteria. Alternatively give them some air by leaving them outside in the sun, or with a neutraliser spray.

Last edited:

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I always wore the original red tag Levi's. Later switched to the "550" series. Not baggy, but not too tight. The boys have got to breathe...

Nowadays, I wear Cintas uniform pants or Ralph Lauren khaki shorts.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't know about the no wash thing. I can't imagine the stench after a couple sweaty Houston summer days... and I have beef, pork, and chicken taking up all the room in the freezers. If I had more freezer space I'd fill it with more tasty animals, not jeans.

Maybe I need to get some Toughskin jeans?