Mini-editorial: What happens after all the statues are gone?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
-- George Orwell - "1984"

Some people seem hell-bent on removing various statues and artifacts -- including Confederate flags and statues -- because they feel that such items represent unsavory things from this nation's past. But if one group's historical monuments are torn down now, how long will it be before no group's monuments are safe?

Every war in world history has caused pain and suffering, so should all statues regarding World War I, World War II or the Korean War be removed as well? If the Civil War monuments need to go because of feelings generated, should Martin Luther King statues come down because of feelings generated by the 1960s riots?

Why not burn all the books while we're busy tearing down statues? How can we remember and learn from the past if we remove all records of it?

The "sanitation" or eradication of our history to make certain groups feel better shouldn't be considered a good thing. Our history -- whether good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant -- must remain the foundation of teachable moments of time for the generations that follow.

Why are we allowing a relatively small group of people to dictate our history? We need to halt such nonsense and learn to live with and accept the past.

bbfreeburn

It's really very simple, AW. Statues intended to honor those who believed in the right of a group of men (and women) who thought it right to hold other humans as slaves have no place. Statues erected to honor those who fought to free other men and women from slavery have a right and proper place. Get it?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
It's really very simple, AW. Statues intended to honor those who believed in the right of a group of men (and women) who thought it right to hold other humans as slaves have no place. Statues erected to honor those who fought to free other men and women from slavery have a right and proper place. Get it?
Dear bbfreeburn:

I would suggest that you -- and others with your viewpoint -- IMMEDIATELY cease using U.S. paper money, except for the $5 currency, because Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Hamilton ($10), Jackson ($20), Grant ($50) and Franklin ($100) were all slave owners.

In that regard, I'll be more than happy to take any of those denominations of paper money off your hands. Send me a PM, and I'll provide a mailing address where you can send me any such paper money that you own.

Even if you don't use paper money often, if ever, you should probably refrain from using those denominations in the future, because you shouldn't want to use currency that has any link to past slave owners, would you?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear WAMO:

See my response to bbfreeburn in my Reply #5, earlier in this thread.
None of it matters, AW. Look what the authors of our history books included. We're praising a man for "discovering America which is total bullshit. It's not hard to figure out that Columbus was nothing but a piss poor navigator, and that the Vikings were here long before him. The Indians did not welcome us here, even tho they were not the actual natives of our country. they actually fought and stole it from each other, after they took it from the Pueblo and the Aztecs, etc. Edison has been revered as the inventor of the light bulb which is an absolute lie. He was also an idiot who wanted to use DC current and used trickery to fuck Tesla, the real genius, out of his wireless energy discovery. Marconi took credit for inventing radio when it was Tesla who actually had radio waves and remote controls long before Marconi came on the scene. I could go on and on but I'm sure you're getting my drift. Very little of the "history" we were taught was accurate.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear Greg T:

Your "reporting" of history is far more accurate than the "history" espoused by the leftists. And don't you agree with me that bbfreeburn (and others) should IMMEDIATELY cease using U.S. paper money (or the digitalized version of it), except for the $5 currency, because Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Hamilton ($10), Jackson ($20), Grant ($50) and Franklin ($100) were all slave owners?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear Greg T:

Your "reporting" of history is far more accurate than the "history" espoused by the leftists. And don't you agree with me that bbfreeburn (and others) should IMMEDIATELY cease using U.S. paper money (or the digitalized version of it), except for the $5 currency, because Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Hamilton ($10), Jackson ($20), Grant ($50) and Franklin ($100) were all slave owners?
Absolutely. And the saw buck because Lincoln was a republican.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Absolutely. And the saw buck because Lincoln was a republican.
Dear Greg T:

I think you and I should collaborate on a business, in which we could take some of the pressure off the "snowflakes" by having them send us all their paper currency so that we can deal with the "trauma" of having money that promotes slaveholders (and a Republican president, Lincoln).

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear Greg T:

I think you and I should collaborate on a business, in which we could take some of the pressure off the "snowflakes" by having them send us all their paper currency so that we can deal with the "trauma" of having money that promotes slaveholders (and a Republican president, Lincoln).
Great idea. I would be willing to devote some of my time helping to destress the overworked and mentally drained democrats who are laboring to relieve me of all the damaging sculptures and images I have to endure. Surely, they dont need to be reminded of all their efforts every time they open their wallets.

bbfreeburn

Dear bbfreeburn:

I would suggest that you -- and others with your viewpoint -- IMMEDIATELY cease using U.S. paper money, except for the $5 currency, because Washington ($1), Jefferson ($2), Hamilton ($10), Jackson ($20), Grant ($50) and Franklin ($100) were all slave owners.

In that regard, I'll be more than happy to take any of those denominations of paper money off your hands. Send me a PM, and I'll provide a mailing address where you can send me any such paper money that you own.

Even if you don't use paper money often, if ever, you should probably refrain from using those denominations in the future, because you shouldn't want to use currency that has any link to past slave owners, would you?
Dear Greg T:

And which of those men attempted to divide the country over the issue?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
And why is it an issue now?

I'm actually all for municipalities taking them down if the majority of the people want them to take it down, ie cast a vote.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
And which of those men attempted to divide the country over the issue?
Havent politicians been dividing us over issues since....well... There have been politicians.

The people on both sides are too ignorant to see that this is exactly what people of power want.

Blame bush, blame Clinton, blame obama, blame Trump. We as a society should look in the mirror though.

If it's not health care, it's abortion, women's rights, taxes, the environment, on and on and on.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BB, NONE OF THE MEN BEFORE HONEST ABE TRIED TO DIVIDE THIS COUNTRY OVER SLAVERY. AT THAT TIME SLAVERY WAS JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE COTTON FIELDS. BUT THOSE BEFORE ABE DID DIVIDE A COUNTRY, AMERICA FROM BRITAIN. IF THE STATUES OF THE CONFEDERACY COME DOWN, WHAT MAKES ANYONE THINK THAT OUR FOREFATHERS WONT BE NEXT? AFTER ALL, THEY STARTED THE WHOLE SLAVE THING.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
BB, NONE OF THE MEN BEFORE HONEST ABE TRIED TO DIVIDE THIS COUNTRY OVER SLAVERY. AT THAT TIME SLAVERY WAS JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE COTTON FIELDS. BUT THOSE BEFORE ABE DID DIVIDE A COUNTRY, AMERICA FROM BRITAIN. IF THE STATUES OF THE CONFEDERACY COME DOWN, WHAT MAKES ANYONE THINK THAT OUR FOREFATHERS WONT BE NEXT? AFTER ALL, THEY STARTED THE WHOLE SLAVE THING.
And let's not forget that blacks were the first slave owners, and then the democrats followed suit!!!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
And let's not forget that blacks were the first slave owners, and then the democrats followed suit!!!
... and also don't forget that the slaves were originally sent to America on SLAVE SHIPS FROM AFRICA. and by 1867, more than 10 million had been shipped to America FROM AFRICA.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND HOW MANY OF THESE FOLKS THAT WANT TO REMOVE THESE STATUES, LIVE, WORK OR PLAY WHERE SLAVE OWNERS OWNED HOUSES AND LAND. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT?