NFL Threatens Owner Of Super Bowl 1 Video

MI2AZ

The only copy known and reportedly worth $1M, he can't sell it because of legal threat by NFL.

The only recording of the Super Bowl I broadcast in existence was made by Haupt's father and discovered by Haupt after Sports Illustrated declared it to be worth $1 million in 2005. The Times has a fascinating story about the creation of the recording, its discovery, and why the NFL is refusing to buy it from Haupt while threatening him with legal action if he tries to sell it to anyone else. “It’s like you’ve won the golden ticket, but you can’t get into the chocolate factory,” Haupt laments.

Haupt turned down the NFL's initial offer of $30,000 for the recording. It's shown no interest in making a followup offer, and—with the league considering any sale of the recording "exploitation" of its "copyrighted footage"—Haupt is stuck. His lawyer alleges the league even strong-armed CBS into canceling a pre-Super Bowl segment with Haupt, for which he was to receive $25,000 and two tickets to the game.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
What scum. $1 mil is chump change to the NFL. If I ran it, I'd view the footage and make sure it is legit. Then, if it is and assuming the NFL doesn't already have a copy, buy it and make it available/market it as part of celebrating NFL History.

Could be great PR, for a change.

livespive

I would sell it and when the NFL tries to do something my defense would be that they tried to buy it from me :)