Rise of American Authoritarianism

Good Times Good Times

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

Interesting (but long) Vox think-piece on authoritarianism in the GOP. They're positing the rubes aren't really racist necessarily or angry they're just peeing in their pants frightened and need big strong Trump to tuck them in and hold their hand.

"Not only did authoritarianism correlate, but it seemed to predict support for Trump more reliably than virtually any other indicator. He later repeated the same poll in South Carolina, shortly before the primary there, and found the same results...."

"That year, Hetherington and Weiler published a book about the effects of authoritarianism on American politics. Through a series of experiments and careful data analysis, they had come to a surprising conclusion: Much of the polarization dividing American politics was fueled not just by gerrymandering or money in politics or the other oft-cited variables, but by an unnoticed but surprisingly large electoral group — authoritarians."

Agree/Disagree ?

bbfreeburn

Let me simplify. I think that a large segment of Republicans feel that the authority of the white male is being threatened. Hence their support for Trump. Face it folks, the concentration of power in the hands of old white men is coming to an end.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Just my luck... I'll be an old white man at a time when there is absolutely no benefit in being one. Damn it! I can't catch a break! :Frown:

:Roflmao:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I dunno. Is it possible to be moderately authoritarian?

Personally, I like some degree of rules, law, and order. It helps society function. I think immigrants should come here legally (just like most every other 1st world country requires). I understand the mistrust of Muslims and other cultures. Not everyone in the world thinks it's immoral to lie and be deceptive to gain an advantage. But I don't care about homosexuals, nor if a woman chooses to have an abortion. I don't think any religion should be allowed or celebrated in schools or government buildings or official proceedings (simply because these areas should remain neutral, since they can't possibly honor all religions equally).

As to their little test;

1. ease tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: independence or respect for elders?
  2. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: obedience or self-reliance?
  3. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: to be considerate or to be well-behaved?
  4. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: curiosity or good manners?
I find these questions kind of interesting. A child (person) that is independent, self-reliant, considerate, and curious will likely also have respect for others (not just elders), be well behaved and have good manners. Mainly because to be independent and self reliant, one needs to maintain solid, dependable social networks to be successful. Otherwise an unruly, inconsiderate person can only be independent and self-reliant as a hermit. They will be shunned by others in society because, let's face it, who wants to be around or help an asshole?

livespive

That is the problem, the test is flawed.... You need all 8 of the qualities. #1 is the only one that varies. While you should respect your elders, that is not just a blank check (ie the guy that punched the black dude at the rally). You can't run around doing shit because you served in WWII. With that said I guess obedience is some what the same as I am not jumping off a cliff because some old fart told me to.

#3 and #4 you should have all 4 of the traits Along with empathy. Empathy allows you to think outside the box.....

That is the problem that we have now, more and more of these are disappearing

I dunno. Is it possible to be moderately authoritarian?

Personally, I like some degree of rules, law, and order. It helps society function. I think immigrants should come here legally (just like most every other 1st world country requires). I understand the mistrust of Muslims and other cultures. Not everyone in the world thinks it's immoral to lie and be deceptive to gain an advantage. But I don't care about homosexuals, nor if a woman chooses to have an abortion. I don't think any religion should be allowed or celebrated in schools or government buildings or official proceedings (simply because these areas should remain neutral, since they can't possibly honor all religions equally).

As to their little test;

1. ease tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: independence or respect for elders?
  2. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: obedience or self-reliance?
  3. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: to be considerate or to be well-behaved?
  4. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: curiosity or good manners?
I find these questions kind of interesting. A child (person) that is independent, self-reliant, considerate, and curious will likely also have respect for others (not just elders), be well behaved and have good manners. Mainly because to be independent and self reliant, one needs to maintain solid, dependable social networks to be successful. Otherwise an unruly, inconsiderate person can only be independent and self-reliant as a hermit. They will be shunned by others in society because, let's face it, who wants to be around or help an asshole?