Road Rage

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So the new thing around here is for assholes to slow down for a GREEN light so they can slam on the brakes for yellow. :mad: And we don't even have the red light cameras!

Makes me want to sell off my nice vehicles and buy a piece of shit truck. Weld an I-beam for a bumper, and knock all of these dumb bastards into the middle of next fucking week! :Devilish:

Good Times Good Times

A yellow light means "clear the intersection", basically to "stop IF you can safely do so." It is not illegal to pass through a yellow light. Even if it turned red, the cross traffic light does not automatically turn green. There is a hesitation before it changes. A green light does not mean "go." It means, "proceed if it is SAFE to do so." The cross traffic is supposed to check that intersection has cleared before proceeding.

The speed limit signs are usually in sync with the traffic lights. So as long as you are doing speed limit, when each light turns yellow, you should be either catching it to safely go through or have enough time to safely stop without slamming on brakes.

livespive

True, but I know the people 9 is mad at. They do the same thing at every light no matter what. Pausing at a green etc...

WAMO, I told my wife I was goingto do the same thing and says I'm crazy :)....Glad to see I'm not alone ;):Biggrin::Thumbsup:

A yellow light means "clear the intersection", basically to "stop IF you can safely do so." It is not illegal to pass through a yellow light. Even if it turned red, the cross traffic light does not automatically turn green. There is a hesitation before it changes. A green light does not mean "go." It means, "proceed if it is SAFE to do so." The cross traffic is supposed to check that intersection has cleared before proceeding.

The speed limit signs are usually in sync with the traffic lights. So as long as you are doing speed limit, when each light turns yellow, you should be either catching it to safely go through or have enough time to safely stop without slamming on brakes.

Good Times Good Times

True, but I know the people 9 is mad at. They do the same thing at every light no matter what. Pausing at a green etc...

WAMO, I told my wife I was goingto do the same thing and says I'm crazy :)....Glad to see I'm not alone ;):Biggrin::Thumbsup:
I get it too, he's mad at them b/c they're fucking idiots and creating a situation where there shouldn't be one. It's a legit beef.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
GTGT = Typical Kentucky Driver... poke-ass around everywhere you go, never to exceed 20 mph. But then, that's about top speed for a '21 Olds Model 46 isn't it?:p :Laugh:

It must be nice if your community times the lights to aid traffic flow. Around here the damn things try to hold everyone hostage all the time. One stretch I travel is marked as 45 mph... to make the next light green, I have figured out you have to run either 30 or 60 mph. And that light only stays green long enough for 3 cars to get through. #4 and 5 in line are fucked unless you're willing to go through the yellow/orange. And it's a long red light if you don't make it (side street to major highway access lanes). But stuff like this happens everywhere. And there's too damn much traffic for anyone to be poke-assing around restricting the flow.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I love the weather here. Outside the car, most everyone is friendly. The economy has been good (better than where we're from by far). But the traffic... It has made me HATE driving. I hate it! It's such a PITA to go anywhere. And I'm a car guy. Used to love just going for a drive to see new areas. But around here I'd rather just stay home. Too many people flocked here too soon, and piss poor planning for development when it comes to efficiently moving mass amounts of people. It's a damn quagmire everywhere you go.

MI2AZ

So the new thing around here is for assholes to slow down for a GREEN light so they can slam on the brakes for yellow. :mad: And we don't even have the red light cameras!

Makes me want to sell off my nice vehicles and buy a piece of shit truck. Weld an I-beam for a bumper, and knock all of these dumb bastards into the middle of next fucking week! :Devilish:

I've been noticing the same behavior around here lately too. Drivers start to slow down about a block before a green traffic light and then they speed through the yellow so everyone behind them is caught in the red. We used to have the red light cameras here so that may have been why it started but those cameras were all removed.

Another quirk is drivers who only turn on their turn signals at the intersection or after they come to a stop at the red light or those who slam on their brake lights to make a right turn with no turn signal. No such thing as giving drivers behind them a little warning of their intentions. Being both a military town and a retirement community, we get drivers from all over the country but it seems like we are getting all the bad drivers.

MI2AZ

I love the weather here. Outside the car, most everyone is friendly. The economy has been good (better than where we're from by far). But the traffic... It has made me HATE driving. I hate it! It's such a PITA to go anywhere. And I'm a car guy. Used to love just going for a drive to see new areas. But around here I'd rather just stay home. Too many people flocked here too soon, and piss poor planning for development when it comes to efficiently moving mass amounts of people. It's a damn quagmire everywhere you go.

Wow, we don't live in the same area do we? The army fort here was badly designed for traffic and I think those designers when they retired from the military went back to work doing the same job in town. One main street and the parallel roads all dead end. Lights seem to be timed to stop traffic. The left turn only signal is not consistant. Some intersections you can turn left before the green and some after the green.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Sounds like it. Instead of actually planning, zoning (which isn't done here anyway), and designing for efficient travel, the answer is to just put up a stoplight at every intersection. Add more lanes to the freeways, yet do not make any changes to the exit points - which just means there are more lanes of people stopped on the freeway when the exits get plugged up. :Confused: