Rockettes Uneasy About Performing For Inauguration

MI2AZ

Just a few days after a fellow dancer took to Instagram to speak out about performing at President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration, another Radio City Rockette has publicly explained why she will not be present to perform.

RELATED: Madison Square Garden Company fights back at the claim that the Rockettes are being forced to perform for Trump

“If I had to lose my job over this, I would. It’s too important. And I think the rest of the performing arts community would happily stand behind me,” the Rockette given the pseudonym “Mary” said in an interview with Marie Claire.

She explained that the full-time performers initially received an email with details of the performance, but no information about whether or not they had a choice to participate. Since then, producers have agreed to make participation voluntary, but many of the girls are worried that choosing to sit out of the inauguration will mean sitting out of the group for good.

“It will be interesting to see who doesn’t get their job back,” Mary continued. “But do you really want to work for a company that supports this? I just don’t know. It’s become a moral issue at this point.”

Others in the group, however, just can’t bring themselves to perform for Trump because he was caught bragging about sexual assault and has appointed cabinet members with white nationalist ties.

“I wouldn’t feel comfortable standing near a man like that in our costumes,” Mary claimed another member of the group wrote in an email to her colleagues, adding, “This is making our show, our job, our name, branded as right-wing. An extreme right-wing. There’s a reason why everyone else is turning this down. Why are we not?”

Furthermore, to her knowledge, no women of color have signed up to be there.

“It’s almost worse to have 18 pretty white girls behind this man who supports so many hate groups,” she said, calling the lack of diversity “embarrassing” before diving deeper into why many Rockettes are opting out. “This is not a Republican or Democrat issue — this is a women’s rights issue. This is an issue of racism and sexism, something that’s much bigger than politics.”

RELATED: One Rockette isn’t exactly happy about her upcoming performance at Donald Trump’s inauguration

Mary noted that while most of the stage crew supports Trump, Radio City employs many people who lean to the left.

“It’s the ensemble. It’s the people in our wardrobe and hair department, some of whom are transgender,” she said. “These are our friends and our family, who we’ve worked with for years. It’s a basic human-rights issue. We have immigrants in the show. I feel like dancing for Trump would be disrespecting the men and women who work with us, the people we care about.”

Lastly, Mary offered the responsibility she feels to be a role model for young girls as a reason why she will not perform on January 20th: “We’re representing every little girl’s dream.”

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
These are the stupid assed fuck twats that give a shit what other people think. These douches truly think they're relevant? They really believe they're role models for young girls? Maybe they need to quit the 100 selfies per day.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
OK, here's another thought: Why does everything now need some kind of Hollywood concert or performance before/during it? Further, why should a Presidential Inauguration have anything other than our military bands performing? They are already on payroll (no extra cost to taxpayers) and are top notch musicians to boot. Much more skill than the vast majority of "performers" out there. Plus, they would most likely appreciate and respect the opportunity to play one last time for the outgoing President, and strike the first chords for the new Commander In Chief.

livespive

I thought that is what they were for??

OK, here's another thought: Why does everything now need some kind of Hollywood concert or performance before/during it? Further, why should a Presidential Inauguration have anything other than our military bands performing? They are already on payroll (no extra cost to taxpayers) and are top notch musicians to boot. Much more skill than the vast majority of "performers" out there. Plus, they would most likely appreciate and respect the opportunity to play one last time for the outgoing President, and strike the first chords for the new Commander In Chief.