Seriously, can any of the presidential candidates unite the country?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The presidential candidates all claim that he/she can unite their respective political party and the country as a whole.

But all of them are just whistling past the graveyard (so to speak) because, in actuality, NONE of them can accomplish nationwide unity, and everyone should realize that.

Trump uniting the nation? Seriously? How about Hillary? Or Cruz or Sanders? Kasich would have the best, albeit minimal, chance of doing so, but he can't get the votes anywhere but Ohio.

Any logical-thinking person can always HOPE, but everyone should know better.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
In all seriousness, none of them want to. It would jeapordize their power duopoly. The 99% united is the LAST thing any Dem or Rep wants to see.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
There can never be a united front. Not with the amount of distance between the people these days. The whiners, bleeding hearts and "everyone deserves a trophy" gangs are much too large now. Top that off with the entitlement crowd and at best, 20% of the current population will be happy at one given time.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
There can never be a united front. Not with the amount of distance between the people these days. The whiners, bleeding hearts and "everyone deserves a trophy" gangs are much too large now. Top that off with the entitlement crowd and at best, 20% of the current population will be happy at one given time.
... and that's not about to change anytime soon.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
... and that's not about to change anytime soon.
Much too late, unless someone can deport the VAST majority of illegals and make those wanting in to have to earn it as it used to be. Coming to America to make good was always a dream. Now it's just a cesspool of assholes trying to destroy the place, and it's been happening much too long to change.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Much too late, unless someone can deport the VAST majority of illegals and make those wanting in to have to earn it as it used to be. Coming to America to make good was always a dream. Now it's just a cesspool of assholes trying to destroy the place, and it's been happening much too long to change.
Dear Greg T:

You and 9andaWiggle continue to make a lot of sense. Keep up the good work.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Well, I have a few ideas that I think would be extremely effective. Problem....about 70% of the population would some way to be offended by them, even tho they would work.

bbfreeburn

I don't know if i could unite the country, but there is at least some of it (see threads marked NSFW) that I would love to untie.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Well, I have a few ideas that I think would be extremely effective. Problem....about 70% of the population would some way to be offended by them, even tho they would work.
Dear Greg T:

As you know, any "extremely effective" ideas will always be shunned by the establishment politicians who put STAYING IN POWER ahead of all else.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Dear Greg T:

As you know, any "extremely effective" ideas will always be shunned by the establishment politicians who put STAYING IN POWER ahead of all else.
That is why I will not vote for a career politician. If anyone other than Trump gets the nod I will follow his party affiliation or vote for anyone NOT a dem or repub. .... for all the good it will do, because the stupid fucking GOP is shooting itself in the foot by dissing Trump.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
That is why I will not vote for a career politician. If anyone other than Trump gets the nod I will follow his party affiliation or vote for anyone NOT a dem or repub. .... for all the good it will do, because the stupid fucking GOP is shooting itself in the foot by dissing Trump.
... and that's why, after voting for Republican candidates for president for 40 years, I quit the Republican Party three years ago, re-registering as an independent. At the time, I stated that I would never again vote for a Republican candidate for president, but because I do agree with Trump on most things -- and because he is NOT an established, career politician -- I can support and vote for The Donald.

Last edited:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
It's rather lengthy, but here is the text of a letter I sent to my congressman Vern Buchanan on July 29, 2013 ...

The Honorable Vern Buchanan United States House of Representatives

Dear Representative:

Allow me to preface my comments by stating my appreciation for your service as Congressman for the district in which I have resided for more than 45 years. I fully approve of your voting record (and your adherence to conservative principles) in virtually all instances, and I also appreciate the e-mails that you provide, along with your frequent Insta-polls (that "survey" the pulse of your constituents).

Without a doubt, I am among the staunchest conservatives in our district, and I have consitently voted Republican -- at least in presidential and congressional races -- since I became eligible to vote 50 years ago. However, based on your vote (and the House approval) with regard to the "fiscal cliff" legislation, I am hereby renouncing all ties to the Republican Party, effective immediately.

Within the next few days, I will go to Kathy Dent's Supervisor of Elections office in order to change my affiliation. I haven't decided whether I will change my affiliation to Independent or another party; however, I no longer wish to be identified with the Republican Party. Further, I have no intention to ever vote for a GOP presidential or congressional candidate in the future.

I will forever retain strong conservative principles and values, and although I will have abandoned the GOP, I would never vote for a liberal, either. Obviously, that reduces my options, and in fact, it likely means that I will never vote in a national or statewide election again.

The reason for my decision isn't based nearly as much on you (or your "fiscal cliff" vote) as it is the status of the Republican Party. Let's face it. I can state, with near-certainty, that no future American president will ever be elected under the Republican banner. And after going along with Obama on the "fiscal cliff" issue, it means that the Republicans are no longer a major part of what should be "the checks and balances" as envisioned and enacted by this nation's Founding Fathers.

I am totally tired of politicians who are making decisions based on "too big to fail" or "too risky" rather than considering the long-term health of the country. In case you haven't noticed, this country has already gone over a "fiscal cliff" in that -- because of a series of long-term failures by past and current administrations, and especially Congress -- we will never be able to pay off the national debt.

"Kicking the can down the road" does absolutely no good, and anyone who thinks that the Republicans will be able to take part in enacting any significant spending-cuts legislation is delusional. With the "fiscal cliff" vote behind us, Obama and the Democrats now know that it will be easy to "steamroll" over the Republicans, who obviously won't pose any significant obstacle(s) to whatever the Democrats demand.

Some say that the Republicans will be able to accomplish something when debt-limit discussions take place in the next month or so, but is there any doubt that when push comes to shove, the Democrats will convince some "sheeple" Republicans -- probably including yourself -- that we have no choice but to up the limit (whether or not spending cuts are part of the package)? So again -- because of your vote on the "fiscal cliff" and even though I am one of the staunchest conservatives anywhere -- I respectfully say goodbye to you and the inept Republican Party. Sincerely, WILLIAM S. HERALD

MI2AZ

Dear Greg T:

You and 9andaWiggle continue to make a lot of sense. Keep up the good work.
Not picking on AW, just noting this.

I always get a kick of how someone makes a lot of sense is usually only said when people agree with their POV. It is never said to someone who disagrees with them. :)

bbfreeburn

Not picking on AW, just noting this.

I always get a kick of how someone makes a lot of sense is usually only said when people agree with their POV. It is never said to someone who disagrees with them. :)
Well, that's because they aren't making sense, you ninny,.