This is really a PM for Greg

bbfreeburn

But since I can't send PM's here (or can I?)...
My wife is thinking of buying an older car (late 60's to early 80's). If you were to buy a car like this, just to get around in and have a little fun, what would you buy? Something you can get parts for easily, etc..

MI2AZ

You can start a Conversation which is like a PM. At the top right of the page you should see an envelope symbol. Click on that and you can start or continue a Conversation with whomever you wish.

MI2AZ

You can start a Conversation with someone which is like a PM. Look at the top of the page, right side, and you should see an envelope symbol. Click on that and you can start or continue a Conversation with whomever you wish.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
But since I can't send PM's here (or can I?)...
My wife is thinking of buying an older car (late 60's to early 80's). If you were to buy a car like this, just to get around in and have a little fun, what would you buy? Something you can get parts for easily, etc..
Personally, I would stay older than 72 because of the smog era crap. Cam timings , and lobe designs, along with lower compression ratios and piss poor head design drastically decreased the efficiency of the 72 and up engines. I would stay with Chevrolet as these engines we're pretty much plug and play and the parts where interchangeable between a multitude of engines and transmissions. Your best bet would be midsize Chevys with a small block v8. Parts are in extreme abundance to this day and these complete engines and transmissions can be found for a dime a dozen. On a second note mid-sized Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles, and some Buicks can also accept small block Chevy engines. Hope this helps.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Keep in mind that if you choose a pre 90s vehicle you'll need to use either racing oil or a ZDDP additive. The EPA forced the removal of zinc and phosphorous from motor oils which is a vital antiwear component for flat tappet cams. If you use oil off the shelf in a flat tappet engine you'll run the risk of wearing the lifters and the lobes off the cam.

Keep in mind that if you choose a pre 90s vehicle you'll need to use either racing oil or a ZDDP additive. The EPA forced the removal of zinc and phosphorous from motor oils which is a vital antiwear component for flat tappet cams. If you use oil off the shelf in a flat tappet engine you'll run the risk of wearing the lifters and the lobes off the cam.
Greg, what about Synthetic oils?

I've been using Mobil 1 more years than I can count and have never to this day had an engine problem of any kind nor use oil, wear out, and etc to this day.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Synthetics are hit and miss on FT cams. I've seen them run forever and I've seen some go flat during break-in. That's why I will never build another engine with a flat tappet cam. All roller for me, and I still use Valvoline VR1 in my hot rods and Valvoline SynPower in my Daily.

EDIT: Some companies DO make synthetics with a full load of ZDDP.